Negotiating for Use of Masters Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
Am capable of permitting using my Masters Licenses in 14 states. Up to this point my Employer hasn't needed me to do this since they primarily subcontract. However now they plan on self performing much of their work. All of a sudden my Masters Licenses have become valuable to them. We are negotiating a "Bonus System" or similar to compensate me for the risk and usage of my license. Wonder if anyone has thoughts as to what a reasonable compensation would be? When we start negotiating I would like to have a ballpark so that I neither cheat myself nor price myself out of the opportunity.

Am capable of permitting using my Masters Licenses in 14 states. Up to this point my Employer hasn't needed me to do this since they primarily subcontract. However now they plan on self performing much of their work. All of a sudden my Masters Licenses have become valuable to them. We are negotiating a "Bonus System" or similar to compensate me for the risk and usage of my license. Wonder if anyone has thoughts as to what a reasonable compensation would be? When we start negotiating I would like to have a ballpark so that I neither cheat myself nor price myself out of the opportunity.
I really don't think there is any "market price" for such a thing and imagine there is tremendous variation.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I am not qualified to add my lack of experience here, but I would imagine it depends a lot on the scope of the work they do. Million dollar jobs would command a higher compensation as oppose to wiring a few houses. Maybe a percentage of the total on each job between a max and min price. Or a percentage of the companies profits? Just spit balling here.

oldsparky52

I'll ask you, what do you think you are worth?

Things to be careful about with a "bonus" system. Make sure you get your bonus prior to overhead being applied. Take a lower percentage and avoid that overhead charge. They can increase the overhead and not much you can do about it.

Make sure you have access to the job costing data.

Will you have decision making powers on jobs under your license?

Is this a new department? You said they are going from subbing to inhouse.

This can be a win/win if both sides don't get too greedy. Remember though, if you don't value yourself, they won't.

I wish you success in negotiating this.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If it was my license and my insurance on the line I would definitely want control over who and quality of workmanship being done in my name, because that is what is being done, other people's work in your name. If I pull the permit, ultimately it comes back to me if there is a problem doesn't matter who I hire or does the work. It sounds like you are an employee and as such you would have little to no say in quality control of other employees, unless there is to be some level of supervisory control and authority given to you in addition to whatever "bonus system" they maybe negotiating.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
@naplespete57

What @Fred B said.
I worked at a company and they used several of my licenses. It was ok for a while. When I got in my mid 60s they thought I would never leave because I was coming to the end of the line. As a result they stopped listening to me and started doing what they wanted with my licenses.

After we had a few 'discussions" and nothing changed I packed up one day without any notice and walked out the door. I notified all the necessary State Licensing boards in writing and that was that. Had another job the next week.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I can't believe they allow you to do that. If I'm correct in my understanding of Illinois law and that of the municipality that grants my license, "selling" the usage of it is a big-time no no.. like revocation in a flash, if not massive fines and potentially jail time.

Assuming I understand the law correctly, here the license holder MUST be ON SITE, in which case you're not "selling your license," you're supervising.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
As long as you hold the license and work for the company that is using it your fine as far as I know. Pulling permits for other people or companies is a no no.

In Massachusetts for a company to use someones Master license they have to make the license holder an officer in the corporation (vice president etc). You also have to turn your masters in to the state (with a fee of course of around $250) and they issue a new license showing you as the license holder and with the corporation name on it. When you leave......yup another $250 to get it back in your name. Other states have different laws.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Am capable of permitting using my Masters Licenses in 14 states
Just remember your license is YOU .. anyone making mistakes or possibly creating criminal offences or worse is still your obligation.
You are responsible for all and everything based on the use and provisions involving your license/s.

If you are ok with all that then figure yourself as a partner with the company 50% or so ...

Status
Not open for further replies.