Need to size parallel service

Status
Not open for further replies.

manny

Need to size parallel service

Question ? If i have a 400 amp Meter Can i Parallel from that meter with Two diffrent size wire....let say 3-1/0wire and 3-3/0wire..OR do I need a gutter to make taps.. any one what do i need to make right....

hurk27

Re: Need to size parallel service

Manny If you are trying to run parallel conductors from the meter pan to service equipment then the code say's they must be the same size,lenght,and of the same material (cu or al)
310.4 Conductors in Parallel.

Now if you are trying to make a service entrance tap you can as long as the conductors dont enter a building more than what it takes to go to the main breaker and can be sized to the load or main breaker that they will feed.

230.40 Number of Service-Entrance Conductor Sets.

VII. Service Equipment ? Overcurrent Protection
230.90 Where Required.

In general 230 need to be read throughly

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by manny:
Question ? If i have a 400 amp Meter Can i Parallel from that meter with Two diffrent size wire....let say 3-1/0wire and 3-3/0wire..OR do I need a gutter to make taps.. any one what do i need to make right....
Manny,
I do not understand what you are asking

Are you talking about runing from the 400 amp meter can to one 400 amp panel?

In this case the answer would be no you can not mix wire sizes 310.4 Conductors in Parallel as already said.

Or are you coming from the 400 amp meter can to two seperate panels, this is not Conductors in Parallel. In this case you could run differnt size conductors, based on load or OCPD

If you post more info it would help.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.