NEED help building a transformer nitrogen bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Simply need some quotes for pricing of a bottle and regulator ready to go. The project was suppose to start weeks ago, so time is crucial.

And don't ask for a nitrogen BOTTLE. Beer comes in bottles! Compressed gasses come in CYLINDERS.

You are also going to have to know what size cylinder you want. K is the most common.

I think that Northern Tool welding regulator is fine. It's imperative that you provide over pressure relief on the transformer itself.

-Hal

And don't ask for a nitrogen BOTTLE. Beer comes in bottles! Compressed gasses come in CYLINDERS.

You are also going to have to know what size cylinder you want. K is the most common.

I think that Northern Tool welding regulator is fine. It's imperative that you provide over pressure relief on the transformer itself.

-Hal

Appreciate the info. The sma document shows no automatic pressure release but does have a manual device.
SMA recommends setting regulator to 8 psi and fill with accordance with to oil temperature.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Appreciate the info. The sma document shows no automatic pressure release but does have a manual device.
SMA recommends setting regulator to 8 psi and fill with accordance with to oil temperature.
Manual device..
like this one?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
And you need two-stage. Single-stage regulators sometimes overpressurize things depending on bottle pressure. Seen that on broadcast transmission lines.

Oops, didn't notice that that Northern Tool regulator isn't two stage. Still, there has to be something cheaper than that one from McMaster-Carr.

Here you go. I knew Harris makes all kinds of regulators.

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC
One question that I have is how do you replace the air within the transformer can with the nitrogen? When you purge refrigeration lines, transmission and phone cables all you need to do is connect the N to one end and it will displace the air and blow out the other end. You can't do that with an enclosure, at least reliably. Can you use a vacuum pump and pump it down then add the N? Would the can withstand the vacuum without imploding? No idea.

-Hal

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
5C20E1A1-E610-4486-A4CC-3D2420AFD620.jpeg
One question that I have is how do you replace the air within the transformer can with the nitrogen? When you purge refrigeration lines, transmission and phone cables all you need to do is connect the N to one end and it will displace the air and blow out the other end. You can't do that with an enclosure, at least reliably. Can you use a vacuum pump and pump it down then add the N? Would the can withstand the vacuum without imploding? No idea.

-Hal
Pull it down with a vacuum pump. I have a yellow jacket pump. It’s actually for pulling vacuum on an air conditioning set.
it works great. I can pull enough vacuum to remove a leaking 2” valve at the bottom of the XF and never lose a drop of oil.
note above gives max positive and negative.
most large station transformers are rated for full vacuum.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Pull it down with a vacuum pump. I have a yellow jacket pump. It’s actually for pulling vacuum on an air conditioning set.
it works great. I can pull enough vacuum to remove a leaking 2” valve at the bottom of the XF and never lose a drop of oil.
note above gives max positive and negative.
most large station transformers are rated for full vacuum.

(y)

-Hal

mivey

And you need two-stage. Single-stage regulators sometimes overpressurize things depending on bottle pressure. Seen that on broadcast transmission lines.
Perhaps 3-stage. 2000-100, 100-7, 7-0.5

3rd stage includes -3 vacuum relief and +5 pressure relief

also need alarms (assuming 0.5 to 5.0 psi range) for tank <0.2 psi, tank >5.5 psi, and bottle < 200 psi

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Perhaps 3-stage. 2000-100, 100-7, 7-0.5

3rd stage includes -3 vacuum relief and +5 pressure relief

also need alarms (assuming 0.5 to 5.0 psi range) for tank <0.2 psi, tank >5.5 psi, and bottle < 200 psi
I looked at his small transformer. It didn’t have the type of setup as a larger transformer with three stage and alarms.
it was a Schrader valve for filling with a standard pressure relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.