Need Help -- Before/After Pic of Dirty/Clean Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshort

My father owns a manufacturing company and I'm trying to explain to him the importance of power quality and surge protection. I have a BSEE and you'd think he'd just take my word for it, but he's kind of set in his ways and wants to "see" what I'm talking about.

I've been searching high and low for a picture of "dirty"/"clean" power (before and after it's filtered) on an oscilloscope. I've found a few pictures of "dirty" power on an oscope at this site, but nothing like a before/after.

Also, I've been looking for something similar where a TVSS filters out numerous transients over time on a DC signal (again, before/after).

There is a wealth of information here, but I couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for, so it was suggested to me to post here. Any help? Thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Need Help -- Before/After Pic of Dirty/Clean Power

Your father sounds pretty smart to me.

A TVSS will not do much to "clean up" "dirty" power. It will only limit the maximum voltage surges and transients.

jshort

Yeah, I know. They're two different things.

I'm just trying to illustrate to him 1) the different between clean/dirty power, and 2) the concept of filtering out transients.

Thank you for the comment though.

jshort

Yeah, I read through that and that graphic of "dirty" power is just what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find a picture of the "clean" or "after filtering" sine wave.

I never thought a before/after would be so difficult to find. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.