Need for a solution to connect solaredge back up interface or enphase enpower switch to connect into 3 phase 120/208 volts systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Hey guys these products are not made to run for 120/208 systems, is there any easy solution to make this happen.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Easy?

I think Generac's solution does 3 phase.
That was good idea, they are limited to one inverter only , we have 36 kw of solar, need more inverters. I will definitely talk to Generac though

Ben Please suggest if there is another solution if difficult too.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Would it work through a transformer or auto-transformer?
My understanding is that it's physically impossible for a transformer to convert single phase to three-phase and vice versa in the same component. You can take power off a single phase of a three phase system, but you can't put single phase power back into the system and get three phase power. You can get three-phase power out of single phase with a phase converter, but again, they don't go backwards. You might be able to Rube-Goldberg the two together somehow, but it strikes me as extremely difficult and you'd likely void warranties on tens of thousands worth of equipment.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That was good idea, they are limited to one inverter only , we have 36 kw of solar, need more inverters. I will definitely talk to Generac though

Ben Please suggest if there is another solution if difficult too.
I thought Generac's inverters could be stacked, back when I last looked when the product was still Pika shortly before Generac bought them. But I could be misremembering or out of date.

SMAs Sunny Islands could be configured in three phase, and scaled up using their Multi-Cluster box. I have no direct experience and from what I heard it always struck me as pretty difficult to set up. It's also older technology at this point, and may not meet smart inverter requirements in California if that's something you need. SMA has a newer storage inverter but I have no idea if they're supporting 3-phase with that.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
I thought Generac's inverters could be stacked, back when I last looked when the product was still Pika shortly before Generac bought them. But I could be misremembering or out of date.

SMAs Sunny Islands could be configured in three phase, and scaled up using their Multi-Cluster box. I have no direct experience and from what I heard it always struck me as pretty difficult to set up. It's also older technology at this point, and may not meet smart inverter requirements in California if that's something you need. SMA has a newer storage inverter but I have no idea if they're supporting 3-phase with that.
No you cannot stack Generac inverters to get more power, only option is to use multiple set up using three critical load panels for three inverters and 3 set of batteries bank assembly. Back feed is not a problem as there is 800 A service, also they said you cannot run three phase loads into critical load Panel only limited to single phase or two phase loads.

I will sure look into Sma storage inverter

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
My understanding is that it's physically impossible for a transformer to convert single phase to three-phase and vice versa in the same component. You can take power off a single phase of a three phase system, but you can't put single phase power back into the system and get three phase power. You can get three-phase power out of single phase with a phase converter, but again, they don't go backwards. You might be able to Rube-Goldberg the two together somehow, but it strikes me as extremely difficult and you'd likely void warranties on tens of thousands worth of equipment.
i heard some kind of converter buck boost ,boost buck, are they dc to dc converters only

pv_n00b

Generac allows multiple inverters. There are few options out there in small backup 3 phase and no magic way to connect up a single-phase backup system to a 3 phase service. Good luck.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
Hey guys these products are not made to run for 120/208 systems, is there any easy solution to make this happen.
Schneider XW Pro inverters can be configured and arranged to support 208Y/120 3-phase using three inverters, and you can parallel two sets to increase capacity. They have a design guide that describes how to connect and configure multiple inverters including this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.