Need custom pendant built

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Architect drew a triangular shaped pendant that matched customers triangular logo; they have three fixture line options (Mark Slot 2, Neo Ray, and a Hubbell fixture), but none of those offer anything other than right angles.

I’m trying to get them to move on from this so we can get stamped submittals and order. But I’m also looking for manufacturers that can build this fixture. Any suggestions? It’s 2” linear LED surface strips that need to have the ends mitered to 45 degree and less angles.

I have considered going to my local welding shop to see if they can build the aluminum frame for me, which I would then have powder coated, and install LED tape lighting inside the channel and mount the driver on top. I would then need to cut an acrylic diffuser to lay within the channel. I believe this wouldn’t require a UL listing because I would be installing a UL listed assembly within the frame.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the drawing I was provided.

d5a9df186fd96f5694d42a15569081c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the luminaire is the led assembly do I agree I special al listing needed. However you may have to bribe the inspector to get him to agree.

I don't see this as any real difference than building an alcove and putting the led light assembly in it.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
Could you use the standard linear fixtures and just fabricate the corners? There'd be no light at the corners, but maybe that would fly.

d0nut

Architect drew a triangular shaped pendant that matched customers triangular logo; they have three fixture line options (Mark Slot 2, Neo Ray, and a Hubbell fixture), but none of those offer anything other than right angles.

Sounds like an RFI requesting the catalog number for the basis of design light would be in order. If the light specified is a custom luminaire, the design should include something as a basis that is available or specify a custom luminaire manufacturer that could make what was designed. If you wanted a substitution to deviate from that design, getting that approval would be on you but you shouldn't have to hunt for a product that meets the architect's intent.

If none of the manufacturers that the architect listed will create those pendants for you, that sounds like it is the architect's problem not yours.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Sounds like an RFI requesting the catalog number for the basis of design light would be in order. If the light specified is a custom luminaire, the design should include something as a basis that is available or specify a custom luminaire manufacturer that could make what was designed. If you wanted a substitution to deviate from that design, getting that approval would be on you but you shouldn't have to hunt for a product that meets the architect's intent.

If none of the manufacturers that the architect listed will create those pendants for you, that sounds like it is the architect's problem not yours.

There is no basis of design. I had a two hour meeting with the architect last Friday, when asked, she told me she just thought the manufacturer could build it out of the same fixtures specified in the ceiling. I asked for a drawing, there isn’t one, she just said to make a triangle.

Sooooo, it’s not my responsibility, but I’m trying to help.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Also, I went ahead and made a drawing.

f982fd428171fc77c4f9dc45fa5af900.jpg

It’s going to have to be built in sections and bolted thought to get it through the doors without being a hassle.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Could have at least drawn it out on a napkin. :rolleyes:

I would go with a sign shop too.

-Hal

I didn’t think about a sign shop. There happens to be a big sign manufacturer right up the road from this project, and I have a buddy that works there. I’ll give him a call.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
How about this company:

Yeh that’s basically it; they want it much larger though. I’ll get in touch with them at least and see if they offer custom work.

I can’t say I’d normally put this much effort it, but the owner of this building was my neighbor years ago, and I want to help him out as much as I can in getting the finished product he’s looking for. I’m excited for the guy to have built his business up to be able to build a nice office building like this in our area.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

I’m trying to get them to move on from this so we can get stamped submittals and order. But I’m also looking for manufacturers that can build this fixture. Any suggestions? It’s 2” linear LED surface strips that need to have the ends mitered to 45 degree and less angles.

I have considered going to my local welding shop to see if they can build the aluminum frame for me, which I would then have powder coated, and install LED tape lighting inside the channel and mount the driver on top. I would then need to cut an acrylic diffuser to lay within the channel. I believe this wouldn’t require a UL listing because I would be installing a UL listed assembly within the frame.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the drawing I was provided.

d5a9df186fd96f5694d42a15569081c3.jpg

Read the fine print in the fixture cutsheet. If you need to go with the Slot 1 fixture, call local acuity brands rep for assistance with custom orders.
"Slot 1 LED patterns can be configured in 1’ increments with illuminated 90° corners, with standard 2’ corner lengths. Please note that optics will only be on the straight runs, they are not installed on the 2’ corners. For custom angles, corners or junction lengths, consult factory."

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Read the fine print in the fixture cutsheet. If you need to go with the Slot 1 fixture, call local acuity brands rep for assistance with custom orders.
"Slot 1 LED patterns can be configured in 1’ increments with illuminated 90° corners, with standard 2’ corner lengths. Please note that optics will only be on the straight runs, they are not installed on the 2’ corners. For custom angles, corners or junction lengths, consult factory."

See my original post here. They are only available in right angles. I don’t know if it’s a temporary covid thing or what, but they won’t build this triangle per Ardd + Winter, who represents Lithonia in my area.

I got a quote from Coronet and submitted to the architect for approval.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
See my original post here. They are only available in right angles. I don’t know if it’s a temporary covid thing or what, but they won’t build this triangle per Ardd + Winter, who represents Lithonia in my area.

I got a quote from Coronet and submitted to the architect for approval.

yup. sign shop..... you need one local to you. i've got one here who could do it easily,
but it's on the wrong end of the country.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
yup. sign shop..... you need one local to you. i've got one here who could do it easily,
but it's on the wrong end of the country.
That's why God and Frederick W. Smith invented FedEx. For custom work like this, shipping is likely to be a negligible fraction of the fixture price.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
PM me. The company I work for does this kind of work for TV studios and high-end retail spaces all the time. We are a one-stop shop; technical design and engineering, metal fab, paint shop, and LX/electrics shop. I'm absolutely positive we could build this.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.