need advice from experienced power genration technician

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a power generation technician in the army and am always in search of new knowledge. I need some one to point me in the right direction as far as what kind of books I should start reading that relate to my field. Basicly what I do in the army is set up a power generator, connect wires, balance the phases, and supply power to support army missions. I work on three phase and single phase diesel generators. I also parallell three phase generators. In our training school we do no training on NEC codes. I interested to learn but need someone to reccomend what types of books I should start reading to learn more about my field.

Stuck in Iraq, with time to read
Javier

[ June 25, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: javiersalas52d ]

Ed MacLaren

Re: need advice from experienced power genration technician

It depends on what level you are at now, with regard to basic principles (theory)?

If you have the time and the motivation, it is always best to learn the basics first. Things like Ohm's law, series and parallel circuit configurations, voltage, current, resistance, and power calculations, AC circuit ptinciples, etc.

A thorough understanding of the basics makes it much easier to deal with the real world applications.

It is difficult to recommend study material without knowing where you are starting from.

Ed

[ June 25, 2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

srvrrmguy

i was 52D in 85 87 trained @ fort belvoir and part of 18th eng bg 293rd combat eng Baumholder Germany. loved it. If iwas in your position Iwould lok in to sub courses offered and apllying your time in service toward apprenticeship credit.
The training your getting now will lay a great foundation for a carrer latter on. Once you have a good grasp of all the fundementals then pickup a code handbook and a copy of the code.
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE......Eric
ps.let me know if I an help.

sdbob

Javier,

I hope some of these other guys can point you to useful sources of info on the i-net, if I had some I would share them.

I just want to thank you for your service and let you know as a 40 year old non-vet I'm VERY grateful for what you men and women are doing in IRAQ.

Keep up the good work and come home soon.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I would highly recommend any of the texts by Mike Holt. Electrical Theory is very good. For the NEC, start with Understanding the NEC.
Go to his web site you can download a catalog there.

alan mcneil

I can't contribute any information with your question, but I do know that a good generator tech. is worth his weight in gold.
Stay safe and keep your head down.
Thank you for keeping us safe,Gods speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.