Need a longer life 15WG12E12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nium

I need a better lamp or at least one that has a longer life span.

Privately owned retail clothing store. At the dressing room area there is a large custom made light fixture. It consists of 18 squares. Each square is approximately 2.5' x 2.5'. Each square has 2 A19E26, 4 G16 E12, and 6 G12 E12 lamps. The lamps hang inverted at the end of rods 12" to 18" in length that terminate into the lamp socket leaving the naked bulb at the end of the rod.

The issue is that the 10W G12 and 15W G16 lamps are only rated at 2500 hours. A19's I can find with a slightly longer life. The longest burning lamps I've been able to find are at a max of 3000 hrs for the globes. Which means these lamps are changed out from 2 to 3 times a year (burning for 6 days at about 10 hours a day). Aesthetically since the lamp is exposed, spiral CFLs and heat sink base LED's typically aren't appealing.

Any suggestions as to a longer life G12 and G16 lamp would be greatly appreciated. LED suggestions are welcomed as well as fluoro. They want globes though which has been really limiting in my search for a longer life lamp.

iwire

Staff member
Put a dimmer on the circuit inside a j-box where no one can mess with it. Reduce the output as much as you can and still get the light you need, Even a small reduction in voltage will extend lamp life.

Nium

Nova's

Nova's

iwire, I appreciate the suggestion.

I had given a price to install 3- 2000W Nova dimmers for them and got turned down. It's 3- 20A circuits which feed 6 squares each. I had worked out the numbers and each circuit is just at 16 amps at 120V. The lamp count I gave is kinda of an approximate per square but pretty close I've got the exact count somewhere, but the majority of the lamps are G12 and G16, I hardly ever have to replace the 25W A19's rated at 130V. The other thing is the heat from all those incandescent lamps is unbelievable. It's like one of those Easy Bake ovens. The dressing area is always noticeably warmer than the rest of the store.

I probably shouldn't even be bothering since 2 to 3 times a year they call me in to replace all the burnt out lamps in the dressing area.:grin:

wireguru

this (probably very expensive) fixture was made to have a certain look from the clear lamps with exposed filament and the warm glow that only an incandescent lamp can give. I bet it would look just terrible with any sort of CFL or LED lamp. Here is another option for longer life at 25,000 hours although G16 is the smallest and wattage is 2.5, 5 or 12. I have seen these in person and I think they look great

http://www.tivolilighting.com/docs/TivoLite-Lamps-052510.pdf

Nium

wireguru,

Thanks for the lamp suggestions. Definitely going to look into the Feit and Tivolite lamps.

BullsnPyrs,

Thanks I'm going to have to check into cold cathode fluro lamps (CCFL?). Not sure if the aesthetics will work with the fixture, wireguru was correct in stating the look of the naked lamps is a factor, but who knows maybe...and truth be told I hadn't heard of CCFL's till now.

Status
Not open for further replies.