Necessary to rewire the whole dwelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauluws

I searched for this and could not find it. I'd like to add a dishwasher and some outlets to my kitchen. Obviously the new work must be up to NEC2002, however, is it necessary to rewire the whole dwelling? I believe the current wiring is about 25 years old. Thanks for any answers?

P.S. I will have a licensed electrician do the work.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Necessary to rewire the whole dwelling?

The answer lies in part within NEC Article 80.9 (B) Existing Installations.
Existing electrical installations that do not comply with the provisions of this Code shall be permitted to be continued in use unless the authority having jurisdiction determines that the lack of conformity with this Code presents an imminent danger to occupants.
And in part within Article 80.9 (C) Additions, Alterations, or Repairs.
Additions, alterations, or repairs to any building . . . shall conform to that required of a new building without requiring the existing building to comply with all the requirements of this Code.
The real ?bottom line? is that is a matter for the local authority to decide.

pauluws

Re: Necessary to rewire the whole dwelling?

Charlie B,
Thanks for your clear and supported reply. I believe that my electrician may have been confused about the code. The local building inspector who I spoke with (finally) five minutes ago said what you said. Thank you very much.

Paul

PS. As an engineer (chemical), I appreciate the professionalism I've seen on the numerous posts I have read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.