nec

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterdan

can I install a standby generator inside a fire station or does it need to be in a separate building? I cannot find anything in the nec that prohibs a generator from being in an occupied building.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: nec

You will probably want to check out NFPA 110 - Standard for emergency and standby power (or titled something like that). I think it can be inside the building, but a fire rated enclosure or separation may be required. Also, the generator will need lots of outside air for combustion and cooling.

Edit: Also, if you have on-site fuel stored, you may want to see what codes require for that.

Steve

[ May 18, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

luke warmwater

I also think it will depend on the manufacturer.
Even if you could install it inside, a CH/Briggs can Only be installed Outside.

hbendillo

Generators are installed indoors all of the time. However, there are more issues that have to be addressed when doing so. First of all what type of generator is it? Diesel, natural gas, gasoline? Where is the fuel source? At the generator? Remote? If you install a generator indoors you have to pipe the exhaust to the outside. You also have to make sure sufficient air is available to the unit for combustion and ventilation. Then you must exhaust air to keep the engine cool during operation. Having a generator outdoors in the open makes it easier to address these issues. Talk to your generator supplier and/or an engieer to help you analyze all of the factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.