NEC vs CEC (California Electrical Code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Can anyone out there tell me in 'a nutshell' the basic differences between these two? Our specification requires us to use both; but my understanding is the CEC is an exact replica of NEC with a few additions in the ANNEX sections.
Thanks in advance.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It may be similar to how WA enforces the NEC. We reference our state electrical rules, in WAC 296 46B, it specifies which edition of the NEC is used, and has amendments. So a job specs or contract should reference the WAC not the NEC.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I didn't think it was a cut and paste... Canadian service panels have a barrier for the service conductors. US ones do not. That's just one difference, and there is probably a code rule behind it. There are probably many other little differences. Do you need to supply equipment that meets both US and CEC standards? That may be a challenge for some things if there are any conflicting rules, or you'll need to determine which listing has the more restrictive requirement and buy from a canadian supplier where the CEC is more restrictive and from a US supplier where the NEC is more restrictive.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I didn't think it was a cut and paste... Canadian service panels have a barrier for the service conductors. US ones do not. That's just one difference, and there is probably a code rule behind it. There are probably many other little differences. Do you need to supply equipment that meets both US and CEC standards? That may be a challenge for some things if there are any conflicting rules, or you'll need to determine which listing has the more restrictive requirement and buy from a canadian supplier where the CEC is more restrictive and from a US supplier where the NEC is more restrictive.
I think you are conflating the Canadian Electric Code with the California Electric Code. He was asking about California.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can anyone out there tell me in 'a nutshell' the basic differences between these two? Our specification requires us to use both; but my understanding is the CEC is an exact replica of NEC with a few additions in the ANNEX sections.
Thanks in advance.
California adopts a version of the NEC, typically 3-4 years after it is issued, so as of January we are on the 2017 code. There are specific changes ADDED, but nothing its taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.