NEC Tentative Interim Amendments

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeunderstanding

Is any body familiar with these? I installed a level 2 car charging station and was told by the inspector it needs GFCI protection. Never seen anything in article 625 about it. He says it was a addendum to it. I looked it up and sure enough there is a 625.56 amendment that did not make it to the 2017 printed code. After reading into it I can't tell if it is enforceable or not?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It's enforceable if, and only if, your local jurisdiction has adopted not only the 2017 NEC, but also that particular addendum.

codeunderstanding

Got it. We are on the 2017 addition. After reading the department of labor and industry faq, it looks as if they are enforcing that. Learned something new today unfortunately.

rcarroll

This is interesting, I first read that they had to be GFCI protected on this site. So I checked my 2017 NEC & sure enough, it's in there.
The section is 625.54 for EV outlets 50 Amps or less.
Now the interesting part, none of my co-inspectors have that section in their books.

Ron

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
This is interesting, I first read that they had to be GFCI protected on this site. So I checked my 2017 NEC & sure enough, it's in there.
Now the interesting part, none of my co-inspectors have that section in their books.

Ron
I can see that causing some problems.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Ron
Not sure I follow. 625.54 is new from the TIA. Not sure how that could be in your book.
Only errata gets changed in later printings. TIAs never get added in later printings of the same edition.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The addendum's are part of the NEC. See the Updates, Alerts and Future Editions on the first page of Art 90. Washington L&I (our electrical agency) had an article about this some years ago in the Electrical Currents. It basically said, you are responsible to know and update your code book with the TIAs, Erratas etc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The TIa says only single phase while the 2020 says all receptacles

625.54 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
In addition to the requirements in 210.8, all receptacles installed for the connection of electric vehicle charging shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the TIA

625.54 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. All single-phase receptacles installed for the connection of electric vehicle charging that are rated 150 volts to ground or less, and 50 amperes or less shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

3. Add a new 625.56 to read as follows: 625.56 Receptacle Enclosures. All receptacles installed in a wet location for electric vehicle charging shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the attachment plug cap inserted or removed.
Issue Date: December 1, 2016
Effective Date: December 21, 2016

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The addendum's are part of the NEC. See the Updates, Alerts and Future Editions on the first page of Art 90. Washington L&I (our electrical agency) had an article about this some years ago in the Electrical Currents. It basically said, you are responsible to know and update your code book with the TIAs, Erratas etc.
Unless the TIAs are specifically and individually adopted by the adopting authority they are not legally enforceable. Of course it would probably not be worth going to court over where your adopting agency has said they become enforceable on adoption by the NFPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.