NEC requires UL listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhuff

I have a client in WA state that I have supplied four "industrial control panels" to that did not explicitly require labeling of the panels by UL. The panels were supplied without labeling. (I believe all the components internal to the panel are listed however)

The client is now citing NEC 90-7 as a driver that the panels must be listed or labeled. My take is that the AHJ must specify the labeling requirements and that it is not implied by the Code itself. The inspector is an employee of the client (large government site/project).

Any pearls of wisdom on NEC "requiring" listing and labeling? Thanks in advance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Have you read 90.7? I had not, until I read your question. What 90.7 tells me is that IF a piece of equipment is listed, THEN there is no need to inspect it at the time of installation (other than to check for damage in transit, for example). That statement does not require that an item be listed.

However, it does leave open the question of what to do, when an item is not listed. 90.7 expresses a concern over the ability of a field inspection to adequately discover problems, problems that perhaps might arise from poor design or manufacturing. It does not explicitly state, "unless an item is listed, it shall be thoroughly tested and inspected after installation and before operation." It does seem to imply, however, that "someone" will have to decide what testing or inspection must be conducted for an item that is not listed. Normally, that "someone" is going to be the AHJ.

sandsnow

The only section in the code that could possibly be modified or ammended into requiring listing of anything (besides items already required to be listed) is 110-3(A).

That section spells out the guidelines for approving equipment. An AHJ would then ammend the Code in their jurisdiction to require listing based on in-adequate testing and evaluation facilities and personel.

Few if any do. Well that I've heard of.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
UL Labeling

UL Labeling

If your client wants it bad enough, he can have the panels field inspected and UL labels affixed.

If you are a UL panel shop, and you built them to UL standards but did not bother to apply the UL labels, there is no reason you cannot go out and install the labels. What you cannot do is send them the labels to install themselves.

You could also get a local UL panel shop to label them for you, although this is a little dicey. They may not wish to fool around with someone else's panels.

They could also ship them back to you for installation of the labels if you are a UL shop.

bhuff

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for all your input. We have contacted a UL inspector for a possible field inspection.

Just to summarize, there is no requirement by NEC itself for UL (or other) listing? This requirement must be imposed by the AHJ as a "approval" criteria, correct?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are specific items that are required to be "listed" per the NEC, here are a couple of examples.

AFCI's
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection
(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Some (not all) Circuit Breakers

240.83 Marking
(D) Used as Switches Circuit breakers used as switches in 120-volt and 277-volt fluorescent lighting circuits shall be listed and shall be marked SWD or HID. Circuit breakers used as switches in high-intensity discharge lighting circuits shall be listed and shall be marked as HID.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.