NEC Compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Cord and plug can be an acceptable disconnecting means. Luminaires don't require a local disconnect (within sigh, or whatever) as a general rule.
Generally speaking yes, but I've been curious about that "general rule." Not to go on too much of a tangent, but would luminaires not be considered "fastened in place utilization equipment?"

There's also the issue of the power supply requiring the disconnect if they're low voltage.

kwired

Electron manager
Generally speaking yes, but I've been curious about that "general rule." Not to go on too much of a tangent, but would luminaires not be considered "fastened in place utilization equipment?"

There's also the issue of the power supply requiring the disconnect if they're low voltage.
They would be fastened in place utilization equipment.
Not finding any disconnecting means requirements in art 410 other than for certain electric discharge luminaires (linear fluorescent). Not finding any disconnecting means requirements in 411 for low voltage lighting either.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
They would be fastened in place utilization equipment.
Not finding any disconnecting means requirements in art 410 other than for certain electric discharge luminaires (linear fluorescent). Not finding any disconnecting means requirements in 411 for low voltage lighting either.
I'd have to look at the text. For low voltage, I know it says something like OCPD has to be near the power source for it to be considered one system or something like that, but I could be confusing that with power-limited. I've got so much going through my head right now as I take a serious dive into the 700's it's possible I've conflated two or more items.

I remember reading something that made me start thinking of standard room light switches as disconnects for fastened in place utilization equipment and start to wonder if lighting circuits should feature lockable circuit breakers when there are three-ways + involved, but I couldn't tell you what... so yea, take it with a grain of salt.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd have to look at the text. For low voltage, I know it says something like OCPD has to be near the power source for it to be considered one system or something like that, but I could be confusing that with power-limited. I've got so much going through my head right now as I take a serious dive into the 700's it's possible I've conflated two or more items.

I remember reading something that made me start thinking of standard room light switches as disconnects for fastened in place utilization equipment and start to wonder if lighting circuits should feature lockable circuit breakers when there are three-ways + involved, but I couldn't tell you what... so yea, take it with a grain of salt.
Only reference to art 725 from art 411 deals with class 2 cable covered in art 725 being acceptable, otherwise low voltage lighting has no requirements that come from art 725

Meltric_South

Occupation
Regional Sales Manager
Cord and plug can be an acceptable disconnecting means. Luminaires don't require a local disconnect (within sigh, or whatever) as a general rule.

Sorry to split hairs because I think I understand the intent of the statement, but I keep on running into people interchanging "disconnects" with both disconnecting means and disconnect switches.

My read of the code says a disconnecting means (this is typically where the switching, within sight from, lockable, or accessible requirements come from per the application) is required and a plug and receptacle is a an acceptable disconnecting means (Exception 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.