NEC Compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Just perusing some light fixtures and the following occurred to me. Just wondering if my instincts are on point or not...

Tough to see here, but the cable for this fixture exits the back at an above grade location.
It's my understanding, whether low voltage or line voltage, that this would be in violation of 300.5(A) Min. Cover Requirements and 300.5(D)(1) Emerging from Grade.

Now there's an interesting Note under Table 300.5 (i.e. Note #3) which roughly states that "lesser depths" shall be permitted when rising for "terminations or splices." I interpret this as the cable could rise to a "lesser depth" to terminate at the fixture, but NOT "zero depth." In other words, the cable could rise to "terminate" at the bottom of the fixture, as long as some degree of burial is maintained.

Another thing that caught my attention was that this product is ETL listed, which makes me want to ask, and I should probably know the answer to this, but do NRTL listings guarantee NEC compliance? I'm thinking the answer is no. Otherwise, how the heck did this guy ever get listed??

1599255441651.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The emerging from grade requirement is for columns 1 and 4 of Table 300.5. Landscape lighting is under column 5.

300.4(D)(1) Emerging from Grade. Direct-buried conductors and cables emerging from grade and specified in columns 1 and 4
of Table 300.5
shall be protected by enclosures or raceways extending from the minimum cover distance below grade
required by 300.5(A) to a point at least 2.5 m (8 ft) above finished grade. In no case shall the protection be required to
exceed 450 mm (18 in.) below finished grade.

Jerramundi

Occupation
The emerging from grade requirement is for columns 1 and 4 of Table 300.5. Landscape lighting is under column 5.
Ahh, thank you. I did not see that part that specified emerging from grade was only applied to columns 1-4.

Jerramundi

Occupation
So for low voltage (column 5) there is no emerging from grade requirement? What about the minimum cover? Would this cable rising above grade not violate min. cover requirements?

Jerramundi

Occupation
Additionally, and I should have pointed this out, this is a line voltage fixture (120V) being considered for a non-residential application... so therefore column 1 applies. And as a line voltage fixture, would it not violate, as I stated in the OP but failed to mention the voltage, both requirements?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So for low voltage (column 5) there is no emerging from grade requirement? What about the minimum cover? Would this cable rising above grade not violate min. cover requirements?
No, cables and conduits are permitted to emerge from grade. The ones in columns 1 and 4 require additional protection from damage.

Jerramundi

Occupation
No, cables and conduits are permitted to emerge from grade. The ones in columns 1 and 4 require additional protection from damage.
But this is being inferred via omission from 300.5(D)(1), correct? Neither explicitly permitted or not permitted? Just curious.

kwired

Electron manager
Just perusing some light fixtures and the following occurred to me. Just wondering if my instincts are on point or not...

Tough to see here, but the cable for this fixture exits the back at an above grade location.
It's my understanding, whether low voltage or line voltage, that this would be in violation of 300.5(A) Min. Cover Requirements and 300.5(D)(1) Emerging from Grade.

Now there's an interesting Note under Table 300.5 (i.e. Note #3) which roughly states that "lesser depths" shall be permitted when rising for "terminations or splices." I interpret this as the cable could rise to a "lesser depth" to terminate at the fixture, but NOT "zero depth." In other words, the cable could rise to "terminate" at the bottom of the fixture, as long as some degree of burial is maintained.

Another thing that caught my attention was that this product is ETL listed, which makes me want to ask, and I should probably know the answer to this, but do NRTL listings guarantee NEC compliance? I'm thinking the answer is no. Otherwise, how the heck did this guy ever get listed??

View attachment 2553484
300.5 would apply to the wiring method supplying the receptacle you intend to plug that flexible cord into.

Jerramundi

Occupation
It's been clarified that there is no emerging from grade requirement for low voltage landscape / irrigation systems (Table 300.5, Column 5), but I'm still curious about...

(1) Low voltage landscape fixtures that have a cable visible above grade violating min. cover requirements

(2) The specific fixture mentioned in the OP, being a 120V fixture, violating both emerging from grade requirements and min cover requirements... and subsequently...

(3) If NRTL listings guarantee NEC compliance.

Jerramundi

Occupation
300.5 would apply to the wiring method supplying the receptacle you intend to plug that flexible cord into.
Sure about that? I thought 300.5 was a catch all for ALL underground installations per its' title, which IMO, would cover the cable between the landscape fixtures as well as the cable that terminates to each fixture.

kwired

Electron manager
Sure about that? I thought 300.5 was a catch all for ALL underground installations per its' title, which IMO, would cover the cable between the landscape fixtures as well as the cable that terminates to each fixture.
For wiring methods that are permitted to be underground, your flexible cord is not one of those.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Almost all raceways and cables run underground eventually emerge from the ground, the applicable code sections have been posted in this thread. Your light fixture in post #1 is not designed for underground use. Do you have a specific LV fixture in mind?

kwired

Electron manager

View attachment 2553484
Probably somewhat water tight and also listed for outdoor use, but other than that not much different than other portable lamps.

If it came with the cord but no plug then it likely would have been intended to terminate the cord into a junction box.

That cord should never emerge from grade as it is not rated to be buried in the first place.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As a general rule manufacturers don't want their products to be disallowed by the NEC because it would make them harder to sell. But NRTLs (Nationally Recognized Testing Labs, like ETL or UL) have no direct requirement the products to be NEC compliant. The UL testing standards (which is what ETL and other NRTLs all use) are more about fire safety of the product, not installation, although UL does take NEC installation requirements into the development of the standards. The NEC is mostly about fire safety too, but is more oriented toward installation, methods and materials not the products themselves.

Despite the fact that most people would USE these in somewhat "permanent" fasion, they are, by virtue of having a cord and plug, considered temporary. You can have receptacles for them hard-wired, in which case the RECEPTACLES and wiring to them would need to be NEC compliant, or you can use extension cords to plug them in. But extention cords, called "porable cords" in the NEC, are not permitted to be used for permanent wiring, so rules pertaining to how permanent wiring must be done would not apply.

kwired

Electron manager
As a general rule manufacturers don't want their products to be disallowed by the NEC because it would make them harder to sell. But NRTLs (Nationally Recognized Testing Labs, like ETL or UL) have no direct requirement the products to be NEC compliant. The UL testing standards (which is what ETL and other NRTLs all use) are more about fire safety of the product, not installation, although UL does take NEC installation requirements into the development of the standards. The NEC is mostly about fire safety too, but is more oriented toward installation, methods and materials not the products themselves.

Despite the fact that most people would USE these in somewhat "permanent" fasion, they are, by virtue of having a cord and plug, considered temporary. You can have receptacles for them hard-wired, in which case the RECEPTACLES and wiring to them would need to be NEC compliant, or you can use extension cords to plug them in. But extention cords, called "porable cords" in the NEC, are not permitted to be used for permanent wiring, so rules pertaining to how permanent wiring must be done would not apply.
And a light like that one if it is listed is probably listed as a portable or temporary unit (maybe marketed as a holiday lighting piece) and not as a fixed unit.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Almost all raceways and cables run underground eventually emerge from the ground, the applicable code sections have been posted in this thread. Your light fixture in post #1 is not designed for underground use. Do you have a specific LV fixture in mind?
No specific fixture in mind. This one just caught my eye as a 120V fixture with a cable that would be above grade.

Since it's being marketed as a landscape fixture, I assumed the cable would be installed underground and that the main issue was that it was emerging from grade without the proper protection required by 300.5 for line voltage.

Although, now that I think about it, I suppose just because it's marketed as a landscape fixture, doesn't necessarily mean the cable will go underground... despite the fact that I've NEVER seen landscape lights without the cable being buried. I would think that would pose a hazard for instances like hitting the cable with a lawnmower.

It's definitely being marketed as a permanent fixture though.

kwired

Electron manager
No specific fixture in mind. This one just caught my eye as a 120V fixture with a cable that would be above grade.

Since it's being marketed as a landscape fixture, I assumed the cable would be installed underground and that the main issue was that it was emerging from grade without the proper protection required by 300.5 for line voltage.

Although, now that I think about it, I suppose just because it's marketed as a landscape fixture, doesn't necessarily mean the cable will go underground... despite the fact that I've NEVER seen landscape lights without the cable being buried. I would think that would pose a hazard for instances like hitting the cable with a lawnmower.

It's definitely being marketed as a permanent fixture though.
An installation done by a real electrician probably not using said fixture unless maybe it is a temporary installation.

Installation by a DIY will take advantage of the plug and play nature of this item but because of the design will create other problems with their installation. They will bury that cord, maybe just below some rocks, mulch, or other loose landscaping material. If not long enough to reach the receptale they will plug extension into it, and bury that as well. Then they call someone like you or me when that plug gets moisture in it and keeps tripping the GFCI that protects the real premises wiring receptacle, unless they hacked that as well.

Jerramundi

Occupation
An installation done by a real electrician probably not using said fixture unless maybe it is a temporary installation.

Installation by a DIY will take advantage of the plug and play nature of this item but because of the design will create other problems with their installation. They will bury that cord, maybe just below some rocks, mulch, or other loose landscaping material. If not long enough to reach the receptale they will plug extension into it, and bury that as well. Then they call someone like you or me when that plug gets moisture in it and keeps tripping the GFCI that protects the real premises wiring receptacle, unless they hacked that as well.
Well, the cord and plug is an acceptable disconnecting means that can sometimes be easier than hard wiring

This is why I asked about min coverage and line voltage. I was shocked to find a line voltage landscape fixture with a cable exposed above ground... but I suppose if the cable is not intended to be buried, then it doesn't have to meet min burial requirements or emerging from grade requirements.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, the cord and plug is an acceptable disconnecting means that can sometimes be easier than hard wiring

This is why I asked about min coverage and line voltage. I was shocked to find a line voltage landscape fixture with a cable exposed above ground... but I suppose if the cable is not intended to be buried, then it doesn't have to meet min burial requirements or emerging from grade requirements.
Cord and plug can be an acceptable disconnecting means. Luminaires don't require a local disconnect (within sigh, or whatever) as a general rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.