NEC code reference help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdub

Occupation
Electrician
Hello Experts,
I recently stumbled across a residential install situation. If anyone has NEC code references to support the install or deem it in violation of the NEC your input would be greatly appreciated.

Homeowner installed a 2 pole 20 amp GFCI breaker in the main house panel. Then ran a 12-3 UF wire with ground 150ft. from the main house panel to a post near the lake to power a 240 volt Irrigation pump plugged into a 250 volt twist lock receptacle. Pump has cord and plug. Then proceeded to take one leg of 120 volts with a neutral, and ground wire to a 120 volt GFCI receptacle into another box next to the irrigation receptacle box.

I questioned this method of tapping off one leg of a 240 volt circuit with no over current protection for the 120 volt circuit which was created.
Is this code compliant to do this type of wiring methods? I would have installed a small 6 circuit sub panel with breakers to feed the pump and the GFCI outlet to protect the tapping off of the 240 volts.
I have searched and asked the local inspector about this but the inspector can't think of why this can't or shouldn't be done this way.
If anyone has NEC code articles I could look up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rdub

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

It's compliant. All is protected at ampacity by the 20a breaker.

You may have more than one receptacle on one circuit, and not every receptacle must have every circuit conductor on it.

They can even be on the same yoke.

1653931382675.png 1653931503363.png

Last edited:

retirede

Would 210.23(A)(2) apply?

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place

The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Since the pump is cord and plug connected, is it still considered “fastened in place”? May depend on things we haven’t been told.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Would 210.23(A)(2) apply?

210.23(A) was a good find.
I see if fastened in place, the 240 V pump can't exceed 10 Amps, if not then 16 Amps.

The same load restrictions apply to any separate outlet on shared legs, but perhaps only 220.18 would apply to all legs & loads running together.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.
To me, it all falls under the second half of that statement; not fastened in place. I'd have to see the pump to say more.

Added: I see the prohibition applying more to something like adding a convenience receptacle to an A/C circuit.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also, the receptacle shouldn't need to be the GFCI type since it is already on a GFCI breaker. You won't know which will trip first so best to only have one GFCI and not two in series.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Since the pump is cord and plug connected, is it still considered “fastened in place”? May depend on things we haven’t been told.

To me the cord and plug connection really doesn't matter. Is the pump fastened in place? If so, then the rating of the pump cannot exceed 10 amps.
Especially since that code section recognizes that some cord and plug connected equipment is not fastened in place, then some cord and plug connected equipment can be fastened in place.

Ravenvalor

I don't know why but I've always thought it was wrong to do it like that. It's most commonly done on a residential well pump for an outlet to a heat lamp.
Thanks for bringing up residential well pumps. If one were to install a 240-volt circuit to a residential well pump plus a pull chain lampholder and both of those were hardwired and not utilizing receptacles would this meet NEC?

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What about the A/C disconnects with the built in GFI receptacle tapped off one leg.

retirede

To me the cord and plug connection really doesn't matter. Is the pump fastened in place? If so, then the rating of the pump cannot exceed 10 amps.
Especially since that code section recognizes that some cord and plug connected equipment is not fastened in place, then some cord and plug connected equipment can be fastened in place.

I guess my thinking was that if it’s hard-wired, it’s definitely fastened in place. If cord and plug, we need to know more in order to determine.

Status
Not open for further replies.