NEC Art. 344.26 Bends - No. in One Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art. 344.26 allows up to the equivalent of four quarter bends between pull points. My rule of thumb (good design practice) has always been to limit that number of bends to three for ease of installation (wire pulling). I am being asked by a reviewer to maximize the amount of bends per code regardless of industry design practice. I'd like some feedback from others who've actually been involved in this scenario. Thanks.

Al Guggemos

bphgravity

Re: NEC Art. 344.26 Bends - No. in One Run

The code is just as you suggest, a minimum standard. Apparently, the code making panel that added the 4 quarter (90 degree) total bends requirement determined that this was the maximum that could be placed in one run without damaging conductors when they are installed.

I find that pulls through 4 90's is much easier when the run is as forward as possible, meaning the pull doesn't come back on itself. If you are now being required to use as many bends as permitted, then possibly you can can design the runs to ease those pulls by arranging the bends at minimum distances from each other an trying to keep as straight as a run as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.