NEC and Career Change info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I'm looking for advice from the community. At the end of 2021 I plan on retiring from Ford, but want to continue working in the trade for awhile. Question - in todays real-world electrical environment, how much time is spent accessing the NEC, and is it beneficial to do it from a tablet/laptop in the field, or is the old-school printed NEC books still relevant? I'm trying to be proactive to prepare for this change, and would appreciate members advice on this. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most people like the laptop or phone options. The problem with that is that it has gotten expensive to keep up payments every year as the digital sources are all kept online. If you have an issue with internet service I would suggest a hard copy

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I thought they stopped making the digital copy of the NEC? If not where can I find it? I like the paper edition however the digital one would come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

retirede

I thought they stopped making the digital copy of the NEC? If not where can I find it? I like the paper edition however the digital one would come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They stopped offering the downloadable version. It’s now online only. Sucks when you don’t have internet access.

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Thanks to all for your replies. Browsing the NFPA website. it looks like you have two choices - soft/hard bound versions of the NEC or you choose the NFPA Link Individual Plan and get all the listed items in that plan. Sounds good as long as you have internet access - may not always work in a 'field jobsite'. Probably better in an industrial environment like I'm used to - constant Internet access as needed. Depending on your business expenses, annual cost renewal could be an issue. Looking forward to more info from the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.