NEC 705.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have PV connection in compliance with NEC 2014 Section 705.12(A) connected supply side of service disconnecting means.

However the connection is made in Utility CT cabinet. I always thought the connection supply side of NEC 2014 Section 705.12(A) need to be in accessible enclosure but CT cabinet is not in accessible enclosure.

I looked but did not find what is the section that says connection need to be inaccessible enclosure? Is their any such section?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't believe there is any such section.

That said, I believe that enclosures are generally required to be accessible. But further, there is nothing about a CT cabinet that makes it inherently inaccessible. And just because a utility puts a tag on something would not make it inaccessible either. The NEC generally would not recognize some other entity's legal barrier as changing the substance of its requirements, as far as I can tell. If someone needs to get into a tagged enclosure they can schedule with the utility to do it. Or, if it is an emergency and they are responding professionally, they probably have the legal cover to do what they need to do.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I don't believe there is any such section.

That said, I believe that enclosures are generally required to be accessible. But further, there is nothing about a CT cabinet that makes it inherently inaccessible. And just because a utility puts a tag on something would not make it inaccessible either. The NEC generally would not recognize some other entity's legal barrier as changing the substance of its requirements, as far as I can tell. If someone needs to get into a tagged enclosure they can schedule with the utility to do it. Or, if it is an emergency and they are responding professionally, they probably have the legal cover to do what they need to do.

So one can make PV supply side connection in utility CT cabinet? No restriction by NEC 2014

Carultch

So one can make PV supply side connection in utility CT cabinet? No restriction by NEC 2014

CT cabinets in general, no restriction as far as the NEC is concerned. Any connection you can make in an enclosure in general, the NEC would allow you to do inside a CT cabinet. It would have to be a meter that doesn't concern the utility (e.g. a "check meter"), for the NEC to be all that governs what happens inside.

Utility rules are another matter entirely, and would apply for any metering equipment associated with the service meter. Or any other meter for which the utility receives data. The CT cabinet and meter socket are "their turf", even if the equipment is customer-owned and installed. It is common that a utility won't allow any 3rd party connectors to make taps within their cabinet. You would have to have an otherwise-vacant terminal that comes standard with the cabinet, or is available specifically as an accessory to it. You would also have to verify with your utility specifically, that they would allow otherwise-vacant terminals to be used in this manner.

jaggedben

Occupation
Does the code require post #1 connection supply side readily accessible?
No.

Accessible, yes. See 314.29.
Readily accessible, no. See article 100 definitions.

Whether it has CTs or a supply side tap is not relevant to the above. The utility may have rules that are not in the NEC. But the NEC does not care what is in the box or who owns what is in it, or whether it is sealed, as far as accessibility is concerned.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
No.

Accessible, yes. See 314.29.
Readily accessible, no. See article 100 definitions.

Whether it has CTs or a supply side tap is not relevant to the above. The utility may have rules that are not in the NEC. But the NEC does not care what is in the box or who owns what is in it, or whether it is sealed, as far as accessibility is concerned.

NEC 2014 section 314.29 is not about solar or CT cabinet. How does 314.29 tie to solar panel supply side connection in CT cabinet?

jaggedben

Occupation
NEC 2014 section 314.29 is not about solar or CT cabinet. How does 314.29 tie to solar panel supply side connection in CT cabinet?

Wherever one makes the supply-side connection, it is just a box that is subject to the chapter 3 rules. Same with a CT cabinet.

Wherever one makes the supply-side connection, it is just a box that is subject to the chapter 3 rules. Same with a CT cabinet.
I think article 312 would be the one. Note the word "cabinet" cleverly hidden within the phrase "CT cabinet". I don't think article 314 applies.

I think it depends what is in them. For example OCPD's are required to be readily accessible, 240.24. For splices or pull points I'm not sure. There is 300.15, which says a box is required, so if using a cabinet as a box does it become a box?

But regardless, you have asked this question numerous times and the answer is the same: a utility seal or lock does not make something not accessible.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I think it depends what is in them. For example OCPD's are required to be readily accessible, 240.24. For splices or pull points I'm not sure. There is 300.15, which says a box is required, so if using a cabinet as a box does it become a box?

But regardless, you have asked this question numerous times and the answer is the same: a utility seal or lock does not make something not accessible.

Really even if it has overcurrent protection cabinet would need accessible or ready accessible? What’s this NEC 2014 300.15 says? :

Where the wiring methods is AC, MC, MI, non metallic sheathed cable or other cables, a box or conduit shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point or pull point unless otherwise permitted 300.25(A) through (L).

300.15(I): A box or conduit shall not be required where splice, switch, terminal or pull point is in a cabinet or cutout box....

If their is no provision for ready access or access in 312 and box or conduit is not require which need to be accessible 314 and cabinets has overcurrent protection their is no other provision in 312 then

jaggedben

Occupation
The point where you make the supply side connection is not (necessarily) where the overcurrent protection is. If the connection is done in the CT cabinet, there will presumably be a fused disconnect or circuit breaker somewhere else. The latter is required to be accessible, but that is not relevant to the CT cabinet.

I think 314 applies because you are talking about using the CT cabinet as a junction box for the supply side connection. Perhaps 312 applies as electofelon says, but I'm not sure if the common usage of 'CT cabinet' is strictly the same as the usage of 'cabinets in 312. It might be prudent to apply both articles. Regardless though, making the supply side connection there doesn't change any of the rules for a box or cabinet, whichever it is (if not both).

Status
Not open for further replies.