NEC 690.31

Status
Not open for further replies.

bltemperly

New User
Occupation
Solar
Just want some clarification on dc circuits in buildings. 690.31 (A) says the circuits need to be in a raceway if readily accessible. 690.31 (D) want circuits in a raceway unless they are going to the hazard control device. So if I make entry into the building attic and go directly to the inverter with the rapid shutdown device do I need to run this in a metal raceway? Can I run the wire in the attic then metal once out of the attic?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Just want some clarification on dc circuits in buildings. 690.31 (A) says the circuits need to be in a raceway if readily accessible. 690.31 (D) want circuits in a raceway unless they are going to the hazard control device. So if I make entry into the building attic and go directly to the inverter with the rapid shutdown device do I need to run this in a metal raceway? Can I run the wire in the attic then metal once out of the attic?
Pretty much everywhere we work any DC inside the building must be in a metal raceway.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You must run in metal raceway or use MC cable all the way to the inverter, in your description.

Technically the requirement is between the array and the 'first readily accessible disconnect means.' But I've never seen a residential system with an additional DC disconnect that wasn't in or at the inverter.

Also what code cycle? There's more ambiguity about optimizer output circuits in earlier cycles.

Whether you've got rapid shutdown installed doesn't make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.