NEC 2017 - Two, Single Conductor #14 in a Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Occupation
Electrical Designer
After reading the NEC, Section 310 for conductors I was confused if the section is written for jacketed cable conductors or individual conductors.
Is there any advice from those in the know regarding this question:
Can 2 - single #14 AWG, insulated conductors be run in an aluminum conduit as a cable or do the conductors need to be in a encased in a cable jacket? I am working at an industrial facility where the conductors are routed from a Motor Control Center to a Relay Panel, 50 feet in distance. I believe the conductors should be in a jacketed cable but cannot find excerpts in the NEC to substantiate this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is no reason individual conductors can not be installed in a raceway. In addition, a cable can be installed in a raceway.
In most cases the individual conductors/cables would need to be recognized bu 310.104 or 400.4

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Augie said, individual conductors are fine in conduit, and we practically always do just that.

Michele

Occupation
Electrical Designer
One additional question: Can the above mentioned individual conductors be routed in an aluminum, ladder cable tray. I would again think the exposed conductors would require a flame retardant outer jacket. Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
One additional question: Can the above mentioned individual conductors be routed in an aluminum, ladder cable tray. I would again think the exposed conductors would require a flame retardant outer jacket. Thank you.
I don't believe that size of conductor is allowed to be in a ladder type tray unless it's inside of a raceway. I think there is a certain minimum size conductor like one ought for conductors to be allowed to be in a ladder style raceway.

Michele

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Thank you. As the individual conductors possibly not been subjected to a vertical flame test, and are not TC rated, I would not think the individual conductors can not be in cable tray. I will check the NEC section 392. Thank you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you. As the individual conductors possibly not been subjected to a vertical flame test, and are not TC rated, I would not think the individual conductors can not be in cable tray. I will check the NEC section 392. Thank you.
Single conductors smaller than 1/0 are not permitted in cable tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.