NEC 2014 250.52

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have brand new building going to be built on empty lot which has trees right now and nothing else. The plans show the new building building steel is going to comply with NEC 2014 section 250.52(A)(2)(2) which says following:

“Hold-down bolts securing the structural steel column that are connected to a concrete-encased electrode that complies with 250.52(A)(3) and is located in the support footing or foundation. The hold-down bolts shall be connected to the concrete-encased electrode by welding, exothermic welding, the usual steel tie wires, or other approved means.”

From the main service equipment ground bus I have grounding electrode conductor going to the structure column steel above ground that has hold down bolts to concrete encased electrode as stated above.

Question: Does NEC 2014 require additional grounding electrode conductor from main service equipment ground bus to the concrete encased electrode mentioned in NEC 2014 section 250.52(A)(2)(2) or not?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, No. If the hold down bolts are connected to the CEE the steel becomes an electrode and connecting to the steel is sufficient.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
If I understand the question correctly then no, you never run a grounding electrode conductor to the EGC buss at the service.

Question is do I need to run additional grounding electrode conductor to the concrete encased electrode if its per NEC 2014 Section 250.52(A)(2)(2)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Two or more grounding electrodes that are bonded together shall be considered as a single grounding electrode system in this sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.