NCBEEC, Graying of the Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
About 2012 or 2013, the NC Licensing Board, NCBEEC, published an article regarding the “graying of the trade”; about most of our licensees being over 55.
I’ve been searching for it in the archives but can’t locate it. Do any of you other NC guys have it handy?

jmellc

Occupation
No, but it's true. 5 years ago they told us the average age of electricians, plumbers, hvac etc was 55

I started several drafts of a letter to them
My recall wasn’t clear. I see it was 2015, not 2013.
I started several letters back then & didn’t have time or energy to finish one. I’ll start a new effort, telling my experience of having to shut down, the factors I dealt with & problems I saw various bosses deal with.
IMHO, the Board itself contributes to some problems. I’ve seen their reports of discipline against an EC for using 1099 labor as opposed to W2. Various other labor type issues that should be non concerns.
Thx much for finding this.

Todd0x1

Gen. b allows electrical if 3 or more trades are preformed under my building permit

Right. I am wondering about getting the C10, were you good with the experience from the B license and did not have to have a journeyman card?

superdave02

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
I started several drafts of a letter to them

My recall wasn’t clear. I see it was 2015, not 2013.
I started several letters back then & didn’t have time or energy to finish one. I’ll start a new effort, telling my experience of having to shut down, the factors I dealt with & problems I saw various bosses deal with.
IMHO, the Board itself contributes to some problems. I’ve seen their reports of discipline against an EC for using 1099 labor as opposed to W2. Various other labor type issues that should be non concerns.
Thx much for finding this.
What would be an example of an EC using 1099 labor legally?

oldsparky52

What would be an example of an EC using 1099 labor legally?
In NC, the 1099 electrical labor needs to be licensed to the level of the permit. You can't hire a limited license person to work the job that requires an unlimited license.

But ... it's done all the time. Difficult to catch.

ETA: So basically, there is not a good example because all you are doing is hiring another electrical contractor.

jmellc

Occupation
2 small EC’s help each other as needed on jobs. John pulls permit & manages job. Calls Joe to help install lights or trim out. John pays Joe by 1099. IRS may not see it as proper but the licensing board should not be concerned with it. None of their business how people get paid.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As far as the IRS is concerned, you can't 1099 somebody unless they can make their decisions on how to do the work, set their own hours, and they work for multiple employers.

oldsparky52

As far as the IRS is concerned, you can't 1099 somebody unless they can make their decisions on how to do the work, set their own hours, and they work for multiple employers.
Agreed. In NC the electrical board actually weighs in on this too.

Bottom line, if you want to be legal (around here) you need to have the guys on payroll. I think if you are renting help from a temp service you are fine, but it you are doing that long term you might as well put the worker on your payroll.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
No, but it's true. 5 years ago they told us the average age of electricians, plumbers, hvac etc was 55
I go to my EC meetings monthly for my hours.
there are three guys in there under 50.
Rest of us are either retired or getting real close.
We do have one that’s 76 years old and works every day with two helpers. They are young guys that have a hard time keeping up with him. He’s afraid if he quits he will die.

Dennis Alwon is an instructor in a monthly class for hours.
Ask what the age of his guys are that come to his class..

retirede

They don’t have to actually work for multiple employers. They just cannot be restricted from doing so.
That may be what you are saying, but since I wasn’t sure, I thought I’d comment.

jmellc

Occupation
Agreed. In NC the electrical board actually weighs in on this too.

Bottom line, if you want to be legal (around here) you need to have the guys on payroll. I think if you are renting help from a temp service you are fine, but it you are doing that long term you might as well put the worker on your payroll.
My point though is that the board shouldn’t involve itself in how we pay each other. I doubt even the IRS cares that much if I hire a fellow EC, pay him by 1099 & he reports it on his taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.