Natural Gas Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small 10x12 building located near a natural gas pipeline. This building has two Fisher flow computers, Uninterruptible power supply, battery charger and batteries that feed the flow computers. If a natural gas moisture meter and gas chromatograph are installed inside the building would it have to reclassified as a class 1 division 2 location? The chromatograph and moisture meter have 1/4 inch tubing installed from the natural gas pipeline to each enclosure rated for class 1 div 2.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
“If a natural gas moisture meter and gas chromatograph are installed inside the building would it have to reclassified as a class 1 division 2 location?”

Depending on the ventilation, process pressure and flow rate, size of the room, etc., the room is more likely to be Division 1. You need someone that is familiar with the process and topology to properly classify and document the installation. [Section 500.4]

quantum

I have a small 10x12 building located near a natural gas pipeline. This building has two Fisher flow computers, Uninterruptible power supply, battery charger and batteries that feed the flow computers. If a natural gas moisture meter and gas chromatograph are installed inside the building would it have to reclassified as a class 1 division 2 location? The chromatograph and moisture meter have 1/4 inch tubing installed from the natural gas pipeline to each enclosure rated for class 1 div 2.
I've never seen a gas chromatograph building that was not rated Class 1 Division 1, and I've seen many.

Status
Not open for further replies.