Naptha and API RP 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Client wants to extended the area class 25’ (at 2 feet above grade) due to process that contains Naptha, of only 1%.
this seems like overkill to me and may affect equipment within the new boundary, rated only Nema 4X.
Is there anything in API RP500 that defines min percentiles of “heavier than air vapors”
required to create the above condition?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Indirectly; see Annex B for ventilation/fugitive emissions calculations. A more direct approach would be a review of NFPA 497, Table 4.4.2.which says the LEL for naphtha is about 1.1%.

Personally, I'd go along with your client and extend the envelope. Type 4X enclosures usually do fine in Division 2. The question would be the contents of the enclosures and potential boundary sealing issues.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Indirectly; see Annex B for ventilation/fugitive emissions calculations. A more direct approach would be a review of NFPA 497, Table 4.4.2.which says the LEL for naphtha is about 1.1%.

Personally, I'd go along with your client and extend the envelope. Type 4X enclosures usually do fine in Division 2. The question would be the contents of the enclosures and potential boundary sealing issues.
[/QUOTE

thanks Bob great info as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.