NAC circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

I have a job where the larger rooms show combo horn/ strobes while the smaller rooms are strobe only. Is it permissible to run both off the same NAC circuit or should each be an individual circuit?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a job where the larger rooms show combo horn/ strobes while the smaller rooms are strobe only. Is it permissible to run both off the same NAC circuit or should each be an individual circuit?
Typically, yes, it is permissible. The vast majority of notification appliances we install (that don't have a speaker component) are 2-wire devices. There are some 4-wire devices out there, but just don't pick those. We only install them as replacements for existing devices that have failed.

fireryan

Typically, yes, it is permissible. The vast majority of notification appliances we install (that don't have a speaker component) are 2-wire devices. There are some 4-wire devices out there, but just don't pick those. We only install them as replacements for existing devices that have failed.
Are the strobes still synced this way?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Are the strobes still synced this way?
Strobe syncing is governed by the fire alarm control unit. Typically you can set a NAC via programming for sync or non-sync, and pick one of the more popular protocols while you're at it (Gentex, System Sensor, and Wheelock to name three). I will note that you can't mix appliance brands on a circuit, and usually, not on a panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.