Multiple Rapid Shutdowns on one residence/service, two buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekernel

I have one interpretation, the designer has another, and local AHJ agrees with designer. 2017 Code. To me, 690.12 (C) Means that no matter how many arrays I have on multiple buildings, if it's the same "Service" (I'm interpreting as off one meter), I need one Rapid Shutdown enclosure, with no more than 6 switches, to disconnect them all.
"and one to rule them all"... I digress...
They are saying 690.12 applies "per building", and we can have 2 RSD's on the same service.
Typical install is that we have a detached garage with one string of mods, House with another 1-3 strings, no "easy-cheap" way to RSD next to the meter with one Disco.
I did see a mention in the forum I'd not thought of, what if your firefighter is rolling up to a garage on fire, they don't really want to have to go find the meter to RSD that building.
Thoughts? How is this enforced elsewhere?

pv_n00b

You are correct 690.12(C) clearly says on a single service, not on a single building. You can have two RSDs grouped together outside the building. They do not need to be mounted next to the service disconnect but that would be a good idea. Typically on residential installs the RSD is disconnecting the service so it's not an issue if there are detached buildings or not as long as the buildings are on the same service.

Status
Not open for further replies.