Multiple Meterbank Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently priced out a 6 gang meter bank with one bypass and disconnects for all. i was told anything over 5 was special order and very expensive, 3500 to 4500 range. the supply house guy recommended 3 separate banks; a three gang, two gang, and single gang bypass, to be used in conjunction with a tap box. he said they all bolt together neatly, however, a friend of mine said his one experience with multiple meter banks and a tapbox was a much longer process and a messier finished product. He recommends it worth the money for the special order. Has anyone done it this way with any success, or have an alternate possibility? Or should i bite the bullet?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure your friend and the supply house guy are talking about the same thing.

I think the supply guy is talking about a bussed system. The service conductors will land in the tap box, but all the meter stacks will just bolt onto the tap box, or another meter stack.

I think your friend is talking about running separate conductors from a tap box to each meter stack.

Just my guess.

cpinetree

The Square D and Cutler Hammer meter centers / meter packs bolt together quick and easy.

We did a GE one many years ago that was a royal pain, lots of little nuts and bolts. They may have changed how they get assembled now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.