multiple current carrying conductors in a single racway (loading the boat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My question is a high level estimating question, not a granular engineering question. I understand how to calculate available fill per Ch. 9 perform adjustment factors per 310.15(B)(2)(a). When required to perform these calcs, I do so. That's not the question...

The question is what rules can an estimator most always apply to reduce cost in regards to 'loading the boat'? I build receptacle assemblies with an average conduit length to reach a 4sq box. Then I group 3 together and sending them to the respective panel. My rule (which I'm trying to expand on) is always using 3 ckts per homerun.

Can I apply other rules without having to perform engineering calcs? Time is short these days and I want to be as competitive as code compliantly possible.

I made a quick sketch to show you what's in a typical assembly and the 4sq/homerun I'm wheeling off. (This sketch is drawn as if they're dedicated ckts :roll:)

View attachment 21041

The bottom line is that every estimate is unique. In a standard office situation with MC allowed, 15 feet of MC with every receptacle assembly, 12 feet of 12-3 for every switch, 10 feet for every light fixture and I roll the 3 way witches and put a 12-3 in between them. Then I use 3 circuits per home run just like you. If I want to get a little lower, I will use 4 home runs in a conduit which is still allowed. Home runs can be in the slab in PVC to get lower. But I usually use three. I run the home run to about the center of the three circuits use a box and I am done. The problem is when your receptacle density changes or you want to be as low as possible. Also if you are using conduit no MC allowed. I have been doing it for years and if I want any accuracy in my estimate, I just roll it. For conduit I will sketch out a run and roll. I set an add for 8 feet (assume 9 foot ceiling) and add 8 plus eight for any run that jumps two walls or a door. I don't add for receptacles on the same wall or an adjacent wall. But it takes time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would 3 hots need a 3 phase system for mwbc?
Yes. Here's the Article 100 definition:

Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between
them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and
that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system

Status
Not open for further replies.