Multiple Building Industrial Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bfrance

I'm currently in the review process with an AHJ for a multiple building industrial plant with a networked fire alarm system. The network ties the new FACP to the existing FACP via a fiber network.

The AHJ has requested that I prove to him that its acceptable to use a single FACP in a manned control room that is monitoring/controlling devices in 6 different buildings within the facility. We have an SLC and NAC going to each building with surge arresstors at both ends.

He is stating that a control panel is required at each building. I can't find WHERE that requirement is. Anyone have an idea where I can start?

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
Hello,

Could you please clarify, you said you are tie-ing in the new facp to the existing and that the ahj wants an facp in each building. It sounds like that's what you're doing but you're asking if/where it says that's a code requirement which that is not a code requirement so it may just be something the AHJ wants though. Does it not dial out or something?

Last edited:

Bfrance

Hello,

Could you please clarify, you said you are tie-ing in the new facp to the existing and that the ahj wants an facp in each building. It sounds like that's what you're doing but you're asking if/where it says that's a code requirement which that is not a code requirement so it may just be something the AHJ wants though. Does it not dial out or something?

The new FACP is located in a manned control room. The new FACP also covers several outbuildings scattered around the control building. An SLC and NAC run from the new FACP in the control room to these outbuildings. This new FACP is also tied to the older existing Main FACP via a fiber network.

The AHJ is stating that there is a requirement to place an ADDITIONAL FACP in each of these outbuildings instead running the SLC and NAC only to them. He is stating that it is a requirement that each outbuilding covered with its own FACP. Note these outbuildings only have smoke detectors, manual pull stations, sprinkler monitoring and annunciation.

The Main FACP is connected to a DACT and a cellular communicator that is currently transmitting with no problems.

GrayHair

How will you silence the horns without a panel in the remote building?

Networking was not a problem, but was between FACPs (this was with EST-2s). But extending SLCs and NACs to another building is a different, to my way of thinking. Trouble on a remote circuit could leave the building without any detection or notification.

The answer will definitely come from 72.

Status
Not open for further replies.