multimeter VAC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawvie

Hi i have a question and do not know the answer can you help me please

1 = If the function/range switch is set at 200 VAC, what will the multimeter read if a measurement is made directly across both terminal of a good fuse or circuit breaker in a 120 VAC line ?

2 = And what will it be of a Blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker in a 120 VAC line

What i think is 1 is 120 VAC
and 2 is 120 to because it's in the line
please enlighten me
Thanks in advance
rawvie

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: multimeter VAC question

What would the voltage be if you measured between two points on the same conductor in a 120 volt circuit?
Don

jimwalker

"1 = If the function/range switch is set at 200 VAC, what will the multimeter read if a measurement is made directly across both terminal of a good fuse or circuit breaker in a 120 VAC line ?"

If good far less than 1 volt,if over replace it.Keep reading them theory books you have long way to go :D it's kool your trying to learn

[ September 30, 2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

rawvie

I know jim i have a long way to go but there a begenning and if you don't ask you won't know
sorry i took your time

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

rawvie, think about Don's post, and apply it across the good fuse.

Hint: A fuse is only a weak link in a conductor. (this will make sense someday if it doesn't now)

In the second question draw it out, hot on one side, neutral on the other side, and put the meter probes around the opening in the circuit.

Roger

[ September 30, 2005, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

rawvie

Thanks Roger
i just start a Pc repair course and you can see in the electricity i'm lost + i'm sure you could tell i'm french Canadien
both answer i was thinking about 0 VAC but i get confuse when i read in a (120 VAC LINE)
Thanks for your time
rawvie

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

rawvie, you are welcome and welcome to the forum.

Stick around, there are some very helpful people here.

You may be asked to make the attempt on your own and then show your findings, but then you will be coached by some of the very best.

Roger

kevinware

Rawvie,
Welcome to the form. I have a suggestion that may help. Look up the definition for a "Short" and look up the definition for an "Open" in regards to electrical circuits. When you find them don't just read them, understand them. Understanding why and how things happen is a big "Must Do" in this business, even the PC business ;) . Don't just take someone's word as to why you are doing something, research it, understand why you are doing it. This form will be a big help, it offers a lot of knowledge and very good people. If you take the time to read and understand what is being said, you will be head and shoulders above your class mates...........Just an apprentice's opinion. Good Luck with your studies.

[ October 03, 2005, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: kevinware ]

Status
Not open for further replies.