Multifamily and electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terryw187

New User
Occupation
Ai
Recently I was hired by an apartment owner to install renovation packages in Washington state. This included lighting ,outlets,switches, GFCI/AFCI Breakers ,etc.I was always under the impression that if you work for an owner and not a third-party management that you could install this without needing a license. So off we go I get permits for two units and pass inspection. Then the apartment manager informs me that ownership is not sure if it is legal if I do the work. So I was then forced to stop doing the renovations. I have since been laid off from this company because they have apparently found the reason that I could not perform the work. I'm a license 07 B electrician and electrical administrator in Washington. This is the license that is specifically designated for the apartment industry.

So any information that anybody has would be appreciated as I am fairly certain that as an owner operator of an apartment complex you can install your own electrical without a license

I also know that if you work for a third-party managed apartment complex that you do need your 07B license.

Help and Thanks!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
It sounds like you have the proper license to make the changes. Has someone's brother-in-law been hired to do the rest of the renovations??

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This has nothing to do with working for the owner versus working for an installation company. Here is what the L&I web site has to say about the 07B license:
Residential maintenance (7B) – Limited device and equipment replacement in dwelling units.
It appears to me that you have the right license for the work you described. So both the apartment manager and your previous company were wrong about your legal ability to do this work. What you can do about that is more than I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.