Multi wire branch circuits in So Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddjobfix

Occupation
Retired B CA license with electric cert.
Are you saying a code change? Which one?
N 210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached garages and in detached garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Exception: This circuit shall be permitted to supply readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.

A garage has a lighting requirement too. OK, so it's MWBC (2 circuits), not an additional feed. My mistake in wording. And I didn't see "fast food restaurant."
I wonder, I edited something and it didn't show 'edited'.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
N 210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets in attached garages and in detached garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Exception: This circuit shall be permitted to supply readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.

A garage has a lighting requirement too. OK, so it's MWBC (2 circuits), not an additional feed. My mistake in wording. And I didn't see "fast food restaurant."
I wonder, I edited something and it didn't show 'edited'.
I don't think MWBC is 2 circuits, based on the fact that the "C" stands for "circuit", not "circuits"

oddjobfix

Occupation
I didn't mean to derail the thread. It was on here that I read that the 2017 NEC provided that more than one circuit can be run to a detached garage. I'll be darned if I can find it. I must have been dreaming.

Someone wake me up. ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I didn't mean to derail the thread. It was on here that I read that the 2017 NEC provided that more than one circuit can be run to a detached garage. I'll be darned if I can find it. I must have been dreaming.

Someone wake me up. ;)
There is an allowance for one switching circuit in addition to a single circuit or feeder.

oddjobfix

Occupation
Alright, I know the discussion is bound to come up. From what I deduct so far, one can have a MWBC plus one 2-wire (grounded) circuit. That does seem like stretching the wording, so what is it?

And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.