Multi state licensing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
He was a Carolina guy, that's probably why you haven't heard of them.

But I was just thinking It would make studying easier if you broke it up a little bit. With different instructors.

He passed away not too long ago. I took a class with the new guy. He may be as good as Jeff but we'll see.

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
I took Jeff’s class two times when I was getting my license. Man I still have those little sayings stuck in my head. I had 8’s stuck in my head for weeks after that class. His class gave me the confidence to pass the test. I ended up passing the intermediate test. There may be some as good as Jeff but there are none no better.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I took Jeff’s class two times when I was getting my license. Man I still have those little sayings stuck in my head. I had 8’s stuck in my head for weeks after that class. His class gave me the confidence to pass the test. I ended up passing the intermediate test. There may be some as good as Jeff but there are none no better.

I’ll second this. Took his class before I took the Limited and Unlimited. Passed both times the first time. The man made something that was really intimidating into something that was easily manageable. Hard shoes to fill but the new guy is better than any other class I took.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
Master Electrician Supervisor/PLC Programmer
As I mentioned previously, do not assume that exams will be the same just because the state uses the same exam company. For example, TX and CO use PSI but it will not be the same exam. WY and SD use PearsonVue but in this case they are the same exam as they develop their exam together.
I am getting ready to take the Nebraska test first. It is supposed to be the same as SD. Do you know of an specific study materials, practice tests for that state.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I am getting ready to take the Nebraska test first. It is supposed to be the same as SD. Do you know of an specific study materials, practice tests for that state.
NE and SD will NOT at all be similar. NE will have a number of questions about their state laws in addition to code. They offer a short class on their laws and you can't pass without understanding their laws. For code study Mike Holt materials are good.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Absolutely fabulous class. I took it 25+ years ago.
Sure, the first hour was how great he was, but it isn’t bragging if you can back it up.

Remember how he proved the index was wrong? Or broke the NEC into manageable sections?
He had just started the $1000 payment if you got 100 on the NC exam.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
NE and SD will NOT at all be similar. NE will have a number of questions about their state laws in addition to code. They offer a short class on their laws and you can't pass without understanding their laws. For code study Mike Holt materials are good.
Good to know. I talked to them on the phone. She said the state law portion was only 4 questions. She would give me the material and questions once I passed the trade portion.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
Well Passed the Nebraska. Just for future reference, it was the ICC G16 Exam. I was able to take it remotely from my office. It was a fairly easy test, in my opinion. Passed the first try, no problem. Moving on to Arizona now. It is a PSI. I will post how that goes... Think it all comes down to experience and study. As with any test.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Well Passed the Nebraska. Just for future reference, it was the ICC G16 Exam. I was able to take it remotely from my office. It was a fairly easy test, in my opinion. Passed the first try, no problem. Moving on to Arizona now. It is a PSI. I will post how that goes... Think it all comes down to experience and study. As with any test.
Good job! I guess you lucked out on their exam change to PSI as that is much more convenient. For many decades they gave the test them selves with old fashion paper and pencil until Coved hit.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I find tests quite easy so that's not the hard part in getting licenses. Seems like the hassle or deal breaker is usually documenting one's hours and experience. Some states will not accept out of state experience.
That’s because they don’t want out of state contractors coming in and doing work. Politics involved there.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I would start with a list of states you want to get licensed in. Then read the fine print in all of them. Hopefully you can find some reciprocity.

When I started if you had a MA license you could work in Maine, NH, and VT. No longer. I know MA had recip with Vt at one time, I live on the MA/CT border and they don't recip at all, they just don't get along. They don't even accept the other states code update classes.

kwired

Electron manager
I would start with a list of states you want to get licensed in. Then read the fine print in all of them. Hopefully you can find some reciprocity.

When I started if you had a MA license you could work in Maine, NH, and VT. No longer. I know MA had recip with Vt at one time, I live on the MA/CT border and they don't recip at all, they just don't get along. They don't even accept the other states code update classes.
As mentioned journeyman licenses often have better chance to reciprocate without testing, but masters and contractors licenses often don't.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think Florida did with South Carolina, but when South Carolina started reciprocating with Georgia, they quit. I believe Georgia reciprocates with Alabama. I have a Michigan Journeyman’s license, but there is one city there that doesn’t accept it, and you have to take their test. Can’t remember which one it was because I let it lapse. My Florida Journeyman works everywhere there except for the country of Miami.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe they were headed there anyway but after covid NE no longer has local electrical license exams other than a few specialty licenses like fire alarm installers. You still need to apply and give credentials and what not through State before taking an exam, then follow instructions once approved.

Following copied from SED web site : Anyone approved will be sent out directions on what exam to take and how to take the exam through Pearson Vue. Please note; if you have not been approved to test through the Nebraska State Electrical Division, the testing done through Pearson Vue will not be honored.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
How'd you do with the Arizona test?

Status
Not open for further replies.