Multi Location Interlock or Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenney

Hi All,
I have a situation where my main breaker is on the outside of my house and the main panel is in the cellar. The panel does not have a main breaker and can not be converted from a main lug. I was wondering if there is a device that works like a lockout/tagout but you physically need to take a part/piece or key from one location to another to activate/deactivate the other breaker.

In this manner it is impossible to have both on at the same time. I realize I can lock a key in one panel that opens the other but its really not that safe.

Thanks in advance.
Sean

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zenney

[MENTION=78816]LarryFine[/MENTION] Yes Sir..

Last edited:

Zenney

Thanks for you help Larry, but Im trying to make if "fool proof". Maybe I should explain what im trying to do.

I would like to back feed the panel from my generator and as the main breaker is in a remote location I cant use a physical interlock. Im trying to avoid swapping the panel for one with a main breaker.

I travel alot so it would be great if my wife can do the swap over.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I dont want to kill anyone.

Thanks

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... is a device that works like a lockout/tagout but you physically need to take a part/piece or key from one location to another to activate/deactivate the other breaker. ...

They are called a "trapped key interlock". Kirk Key and Castel are the only two I seen. There are likely others. I've never seen one for a residential panel.

I suspect the price will make a 200A DPDT switch look cheap.

Zenney

Thanks Iceworm, Thats what I'm looking for.... greatly appreciated.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
...Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I dont want to kill anyone.

Thanks

Which is a real possibility when it comes to back up generators. A proper transfer switch installed by a qualified electrician is what you need. And with that...

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.