Motor Starter & Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Two questions regarding this FWP-2-5( deaerator for boiler).
  1. Panel schedule calls for it to be fed with 3#12’s but they are using a 3P/60A disconnect switch. Disconnect switch incorrectly sized IMO.
  2. Mechanical schedule calls for the equipment to come with DOL starter furnished by mechanical. Some starters can me a combo starter/disconnect. Do you think the disconnect shown on the electrical is a separate loose disco or the disco is part of the starter? Or could the starter just have overloads and still have a separate disconnect provided by electrical?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 9

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think the disconnect shown would be the 430.102 "in sight from"disconnect.
The #12 conductors would make sense for a 10HP 480v motors.
A 60 amp disconnect would not be required (30 amp would work) but would be allowable.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I would think the disconnect shown would be the 430.102 "in sight from"disconnect.
A 60 amp disconnect would not be required (30 amp would work) but would be allowable.
Disconnects for motors go by horsepower for interrupting capacity. You would need one rated for more than 10hp. So that might have bumped it up to a 60.

I would simply connect with the GC or architect/ engineer for clarification. Would hate to see you guess wrong and have to go back and fix it!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would think the disconnect shown would be the 430.102 "in sight from" disconnect.
I agree. I've not seen a 30A disconnect that is not rated for at least 10HP. In fact most 30A disconnects are rated for 20HP @460V.
60A does seem like overkill, but maybe they want "room to grow"? If they are willing to pay for it, why waste time arguing?

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I agree. I've not seen a 30A disconnect that is not rated for at least 10HP. In fact most 30A disconnects are rated for 20HP @460V.
60A does seem like overkill, but maybe they want "room to grow"? If they are willing to pay for it, why waste time arguing?
Yeah some engineers like to overbuild. But yeah, I mean they're paying for it why argue?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, thank you. But what about the DOL(starter) being a separate piece of equipment form the disconnect or is the disconnect switch shown the starter indicated on the mech schedule?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It appears that the disconnect shown at the motor is simply a motor disconnect. The DOL would be a seperate piece of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.