Motor Disconnecting Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvannevel

Has anyone else run across this? In my jurisdiction, we have several contractors who install a single receptacle near the well-pump pressure switch and then a piece of cord, with an attachment plug, from the pressure switch to plug into the receptacle. I turn these installations down, citing 430-109(f), because the attachment plug and receptacle are not horsepower rated. And, in point of fact, I was always taught that a cord and plug connected motor was one which was listed as such and usually came with the cord and attachment plug installed at the factory. One of the contractors even has the bad habit of wanting to use a piece of NM with an attachment plug on the end in place of cord. Of course, they always tell me that they do this in other jurisdictions without any problems. Just wondered what this group thinks about this installation.

paul

Re: Motor Disconnecting Means

A Hubbell Cordcap and CR15-I are both rated for 1/2 horse motors. This would seem, to me, to comply with 430-109(f) as long as the motors are 1/2 horse or less. I didn't look at the data sheet for 20 amp plug/recepts. It sounds like the contractors may have a ligitimate complaint if you're turning them down.

Goodluck

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

What code section permits you to use a cord and plug to connect a well pump? I think that this is a violation of 400.8.
Don

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

UL list the horsepower ratings for standard NEMA receptacles and these receptacles don't need to have a HP rating marked on the devices.

I have listed a few below. These could be locking (L) or non-locking styles.
5-15 = 1/2HP
5-20 = 1HP
6-15 = 1.5HP
6-20 = 2HP

paul

I don't see where 400.8 applies. I can see 400.7 under uses permitted applying better. Two of those, (3) & (8) could possibly be stretched to include a well pump. It depends on how you sweet talk the AHJ.

Personally, I'm all in favor of the pull-out disconnect for this application. The last several wells I've wired had the disconnect built into the controller.

BAHTAH

"In my jurisdiction, we have several contractors who install a single receptacle near the well-pump pressure switch and then a piece of cord, with an attachment plug, from the pressure switch to plug into the receptacle."

400.7(A)Uses Permited. This article uses the words SHALL BE USED ONLY for the following. I do not see how a cord connected to a pressure switch and pluged in to a receptacle is needed to prevent the transmission of vibration or the frequent interchange of the switch. I would say the installation is in violation of 400.7. If the equipment met the requirements of 400.7 then the application of the cord in my opinion would fall under 430.109(F) with respect to HP etc.

mvannevel

Good point Grant. Although some of these are installations with the pressure switch and pump motor mounted on the well tank, vibration still does not seem to be an issue. I've also seen them installed where a submersible pump is used and the pressure switch is in the house remote from the motor. A poor installation in my opinion.

paul

Well just for the record, I didn't put down the exception to prevent vibration through the wiring system. That would be exception #7. The two that I listed were to ease the removal for maintenance or repair. And connection of appliance, which would be stretching it.

Just clarifying what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.