Motor Controller ratings 430.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gschuman

Here is the scenario- I installed a pool pump control panel that is listed by ETL. The pump relays installed by the panel builder are UL recognized components rated to 3HP@277volts. The largest pump is 3HP. So far so good... BUT the manufacturer prints on the side of the relays a lower rating- in this case 2HP. The UL file on the specific relay clearly indicates that the were rated to 3HP but may be marked at a lower rating.

Can these relays be used for a 3HP pump or a max of 2 HP.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am dealing with an inspector that insists they are maxed at 2hp.

Thanks- Greg

gene

Re: Motor Controller ratings 430.8

I believe the inspector is correct. The manufacturer has labeled it as 2 HP, check 110.3(B)

steveve1

The pertinant question is what voltage are the pump motors. Relays rated for 3hp at 277v probably aren't rated for 3hp at 240v. The inspector is probably right as Gene says. The fix is to use these relays as pilot duty to control definite purpose contactors sized for the load in a seperate enclosure (this gets around modifing a listed assembly). Hope this helps.

tony_psuee

Greg,

As indicated in the previous post, you don't state what the actual pump voltage is. The question I have is on the inspector questioning a component in a listed panel. It has been my understanding that on listed panels the inspection is for the field wiring and not for the components or internal panel wiring. If the panel is ETL listed for the horsepower/voltage that you have that should be it. I am interested in hearing feed back from inspectors, Ryan or Brian on that.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.