Motor Assembly

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This is a motor assembly in our estimating database. Why would there be lugs as something the EC needs to provide. Don't most all motors have terminals of some sort that the wires land on?

1712322907570.png

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Your conductors may need the lugs.
I know lugs are for the conductors just thought they would never be needed when landing within a motor.

What determines if they are needed or not? Don;t want ot have an assembly that always includes lugs. Would rather have some parameter as to when they should be included.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What determines if they are needed or not? Don;t want ot have an assembly that always includes lugs. Would rather have some parameter as to when they should be included.
It depends on how you're connecting your field conductors to the motor conductors. Many motors come with ring terminals that you connect to with a screw through a ring terminal lug that you install on the field conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
I've seen IEC design motors with terminals for landing supply conductors but never or almost never on a NEMA design motor. Leads with crimped on ring terminals is pretty common but is kind of a 50-50 shot they will have them when the motor leads are smaller than ~10 AWG.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Even if you don't use terminals to make the connection to the motor wires you will need to use something so an allowance in the estimate is necessary. For small motors most guys use wire nuts.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For most of the motors I connected, the internal motor leads were just bare conductors. A few had ring terminals and some had internal terminal blocks.

We only use ring terminals with screws and nuts to terminate motors, so we would need a total of 13 compression ring terminals for most motors. Nine for the internal motor leads, three for our motor circuit conductors and one for the EGC.

The typical insulation would be 130C tape wrapped sticky side out, followed by 33+tape.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For most of the motors I connected, the internal motor leads were just bare conductors.
And if you are lucky, the wire labels have not fallen off...

Baldor 1HP motor termination box:
s-l1600.jpg

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For most of the motors I connected, the internal motor leads were just bare conductors. A few had ring terminals and some had internal terminal blocks.

We only use ring terminals with screws and nuts to terminate motors, so we would need a total of 13 compression ring terminals for most motors. Nine for the internal motor leads, three for our motor circuit conductors and one for the EGC.

The typical insulation would be 130C tape wrapped sticky side out, followed by 33+tape.
I didn't know that. What would'nt a motor just get the hots/neutral/ground wires?