motel room air conditioners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

We have a motel that is installing room air conditioners. They are rated 265 volt and come with an attachment plug made for 277 volt. These are UL listed units. It would seem to me the units violate NEC 440.60 as they are over 240 volt and are required to be hardwired.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Are these the ones that are too hot, too cold, and too noisy?

I'm assuming this is a retrofit-- with existing outlets. What kind of outlets already exist?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
We have a motel that is installing room air conditioners. They are rated 265 volt and come with an attachment plug made for 277 volt. These are UL listed units. It would seem to me the units violate NEC 440.60 as they are over 240 volt and are required to be hardwired.
PTAC units that are to be used at 277 volt require an optional sub-base kit from the manufacturer that contains the receptacle within. This makes it compliant. The premises wiring connects to the kit.
If the 277 recep. is roughed in the wall next to the unit there is no way to make this compliant.
I think we know each other but don't realize it. PM me and I'll fill you in.

msiaes

I believe you would have to get the sub-base kit with the disconnect switch, not a receptacle. If the sub-base kit has a receptacle you will still be in violation of 440.60.

Status
Not open for further replies.