More then One Main Breaker or Cutoff Panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have farms around here, but they are not mega farms like in the midwest. Usually 500 acres or less. They meter ever building because its cheaper to have the poco swing a drop for free, than to pay to put in underground or overhead privately. Even the chicken houses have separate meters even though they are only 50 or so feet apart.

retirede

We have farms around here, but they are not mega farms like in the midwest. Usually 500 acres or less. They meter ever building because its cheaper to have the poco swing a drop for free, than to pay to put in underground or overhead privately. Even the chicken houses have separate meters even though they are only 50 or so feet apart.

Not here. Each metered connection gets a $40 per month “service charge” just for the pleasure of being connected. The payback on a 50’ feeder is pretty short!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Not here. Each metered connection gets a $40 per month “service charge” just for the pleasure of being connected. The payback on a 50’ feeder is pretty short!
Ours is $23. Feeders usually 100’+ Unlike up north, barns are usually no where near the house, and very seldom grouped together.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There was a farmer I used to talk to now and then. He had like six electric bills because he had that many different services feeding parts of his farm. A couple of the meters were even mounted on the same pole. Something about a special cheap rate for some special purpose that I no longer recall. He of course had hacked into that system to supply as much cheap juice anywhere he could on the rest of his farm. Was pretty proud of his handy work too.

kwired

Electron manager
There was a farmer I used to talk to now and then. He had like six electric bills because he had that many different services feeding parts of his farm. A couple of the meters were even mounted on the same pole. Something about a special cheap rate for some special purpose that I no longer recall. He of course had hacked into that system to supply as much cheap juice anywhere he could on the rest of his farm. Was pretty proud of his handy work too.

Here energy sales for farm production purposes would be exempt from sales tax, but the house or other non farm loads isn't. You can find some places separately metering the house for that purpose, of course still a minimum monthly charge for having each "service" whether there is any energy used or not.

mwm1752

SITUATION: In my area, the AHJ, requires a cutoff panel immediately adjacent to the meter base outside the house. Behind the cutoff panel Inside the garage is MLO panel.

Not sure what cut off panel means - Disconnecting means? or sub panel? - sounds like you do not have a structure disconnect since the attacheded garage is currently MLO.
& what do you mean "behind" load side? or are you speaking as a location? - for the structure & service disconnect the AHJ is requiring.
Why do you need to have a disconnecting means inside the attached garage? NEC allows:
1 - The structure & service disconnect can be outside by the meter.
2 - The structure & service disconnect can be inside the garage. (which is what you need to correct.)
In the area I work in it is the POCO &/or fire dept that wants an exterior disconnect so in that case add 1# & feed the MLO in the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.