Modifying a conduit body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a conduit body, such as an LB, be modified to accept more conduit than it was designed for. I am questioning the legality of a situation that I recently saw at our facility where a mallable iron LB had a hole drilled into the side of it, and a piece of 1/2" sealtite flex was installed. I am sure this is not allowed, but I am unsure what section of the NEC would be applicable for this instance.

Attachments

• 20140924_043445.jpg
    20140924_043445.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 2

jimdavis

That is not legit as the conduit body is not being used as intended by the manufacturer. I would cite a violation of 110.3(B). The installation is likely not in accordance with the listing or labeling instructions.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Can a conduit body, such as an LB, be modified to accept more conduit than it was designed for. I am questioning the legality of a situation that I recently saw at our facility where a mallable iron LB had a hole drilled into the side of it, and a piece of 1/2" sealtite flex was installed....
I have done it to get some signal wires where they need to go, but they did not carry any line voltage.

What is in the pipes in the picture?

darekelec

we have a job now that fancy customer did not like the looks of weatherproof boxes and we ended up using 1-1/2" c condulets that will be drilled to accommodate a half inch seal tight connection. At that size ratio the install seams rigid to me but inspector may cite 110.3 (B)

Status
Not open for further replies.