Mobile Home Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Y

Occupation
Electrician
There is a property owner that wants a 200 amp main panel to feed a mobile home that will be moving in to his lot. Problem is, I don’t know what the load of the mobile home will be and the property owner wants just one 200 amp service and one 200 amp breaker to feed the mobile home. I know they sell 200 amp panels with single breakers, but what if the mobile home’s interior overcurrent protection is less than 200? I know 550.32(C) stipulates the minimum at 100 amps. I think it’s best to have a 200 amp main with 8 spaces or 16 circuits. But, the highest amperage breaker that I can install in this panel is 125 amps. Do mobile homes tend to require more the 125 amps? Opinions are welcomed

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You need to buy a 200A mobile home panel with feed through lugs. That way if the mobile home has a 200A panel inside you will be set. Even if the home only has a 100A, you can use a breaker slot with a 100A breaker to feed it and not use the feed through lugs.
You have to use a panel with branch circuit spaces, you can't just use a 200A breaker disconnect. This is for other equipment such as HVAC.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Another advantage of having the feed thru, is if the HO has a well, it’s much easier to feed it from there instead of trying to snake a wire into the mh panel.

kwired

Electron manager
We use the feed thru lugs 100A or not. This should qualify as an outside tap.
though I never used outside tap rule for a mobile home, I was thinking about whether one should be able to do that somewhat recently. I can't think of any reason why not unless there is something specific in art 550 I am not aware of. Haven't looked there yet and not sure if I will need to do the job yet or not where I was considering it for.

kwired

Electron manager
There is a property owner that wants a 200 amp main panel to feed a mobile home that will be moving in to his lot. Problem is, I don’t know what the load of the mobile home will be and the property owner wants just one 200 amp service and one 200 amp breaker to feed the mobile home. I know they sell 200 amp panels with single breakers, but what if the mobile home’s interior overcurrent protection is less than 200? I know 550.32(C) stipulates the minimum at 100 amps. I think it’s best to have a 200 amp main with 8 spaces or 16 circuits. But, the highest amperage breaker that I can install in this panel is 125 amps. Do mobile homes tend to require more the 125 amps? Opinions are welcomed
If they have electric heat they likely will have 200 amp panel, otherwise 100 amp panel is usually what you will find from my experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.