Mobile Home Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jioman

Trying to gather information on bonding CATV install to mobile homes. Residential code is bond to power electrode. There are so many scenarios with mobile homes though. Aerial to underground with electric meter on sub-pole. Underground to electric meter next to or on trailer. Is the electric service bonded to frame (always)? Is this an good and acceptable bond? Must the ground electrode (ground) be the only place to ground? What say you all? Thanks

radiopet

Re: Mobile Home Grounding

The answer to that question ( atleast in the 1999 NEC ) is covered in 550-11(b) and 550-11(c) for the first part to ensure it is bonded and then it allows the CATV bonding requirements to kick in as listed below.

I am not sure about the 2002 or 2005 as we are still working in the 1999 here in VA but the information is covered in those articles listd above.

"It also insists that the frames among other things SHALL BE effectivly bonded to the grounding terminal or enclosure of the distribution panelboard."

The most directive application of this is in the 550-11(c) ruling.

Now..in regard to CATV....check out article 820-42 as well as refers to 820-40(a)(2)(3)

Not sure this assists.....but figured I would post anyway.

In the 1999 NEC i read it as not having to be to the frame..since the in the first article provides the proper ground and bonding I dont think it is needed to attach to frame for the ground to CATV..UNLESS no attachment is made or it is the closest to BOND as listed in 820-42(b).

[ February 01, 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: radiopet ]

charlie tuna

jio,
article 550.16 grounding. explains how the moble home is grounded from the home's service or power source. by a green ground wire in the service cable or wiring to the home's ground bus located inside the home's panel.

article 550.16 c (1) exposed non-current carrying metal parts. explains how to bond the mast. this requires a #8 conductor be installed from the home's ground bus inside the home's panel to a rated terminal block mounted on the home's frame for the purpose of grounding non-current carrying metal parts like masts--gas pipe--etc.. this allows a t.v. installer to ground his equipment without being exposed to the voltages inside the electrical panel... this is in the 2002 code!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The text shown below is being transferred to this thread, because the originator inadvertently responded by starting a new thread. To ?jioman?: Next time, hit the ?reply? button, not the ?new topic? button.
Originally posted by jioman:
Thanks for the insight. Now for a clarification and opinions. Would anyone with moblie home electrical knowledge consider the frame as indeed "the" ground. In other words, if I clamp a ground wire to the frame, am I bonded to the power companies ground just the same as if I bond to their ground electrode at a residential home? Would it be a good idea to do so? Thanks in advance.

fc

550.16 (C) exposed non-current carrying metal parts shall be bonded to the grounding terminal or enclosure of the distribution panelboard. A bonding conductor shall be connected between the distribution panelboard and accessible terminal on the chassis.
You can bond your catv to the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.