Mobile Home frame grounding and hook ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert pitre

In our meeting this morning we talked about mobile home framing grounding.
I notice on my inspection that there is a lug attach to the frame with a #6 bare copper wire that come thu the bottom sub panel and connect to the ground bar in that panel. Then they bring in a four wire system ,two hots, one neutral, and a ground from the outside disconnect panel, now keep in mine all grounds and neutrals are separated in the sub panel, what I want know by doing this hook up,will this take care of grounding the frame on these mobile homes? And is this the correct way of hooking up a mobile home up? As an inspector ,I have been passing them this way.

Now on second hand, I was told that they can drive a second ground rod by the mobile home sub panel and connect the wire from the frame of the mobile home to the rod and the frame would be grounded.?? :?I don't think code allows a second ground rod for grounding to be install on the same building does it? And that would not be the true grounding for that frame for the mobile home!
So therefore I would not pass this inspection.
Thanks for any input that you can share with me.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I notice on my inspection that there is a lug attach to the frame with a #6 bare copper wire that come thu the bottom sub panel and connect to the ground bar in that panel. Then they bring in a four wire system ,two hots, one neutral, and a ground from the outside disconnect panel, now keep in mine all grounds and neutrals are separated in the sub panel, what I want know by doing this hook up,will this take care of grounding the frame on these mobile homes? And is this the correct way of hooking up a mobile home up? As an inspector ,I have been passing them this way.
You have it right.

Now on second hand, I was told that they can drive a second ground rod by the mobile home sub panel and connect the wire from the frame of the mobile home to the rod and the frame would be grounded.?? :?I don't think code allows a second ground rod for grounding to be install on the same building does it? And that would not be the true grounding for that frame for the mobile home!
Whoever said that needs a ground rod upside the head.

david

I notice on my inspection that there is a lug attach to the frame with a #6 bare copper wire that come thu the bottom sub panel and connect to the ground bar in that panel.

The frame is bonded to the equipment ground bus by the manufacture and this connection needs no further inspection in the field.

Then they bring in a four wire system ,two hots, one neutral, and a ground from the outside disconnect panel, now keep in mine all grounds and neutrals are separated in the sub panel, what I want know by doing this hook up,will this take care of grounding the frame on these mobile homes? And is this the correct way of hooking up a mobile home up? As an inspector ,I have been passing them this way.

Correct a four wire feed is required the equipment ground in that feeder will provide a bond between the equipment ground buss in the manufactured homes distribution panel and the neutral and grounding electrode in the exterior service panel

As already pointed out in the context that you asked the question the grounding electrode conductor is connected at the exterior service equipment. The ground rods would be at the service equipment

Note that it is a different discussion if a building can have multiple grounding rods connected to the equipment ground buss of secondary distribution panels throughout a facility. There are specific requirements to routing grounding electrode conductors outside for manufactured homes

Status
Not open for further replies.