Mixing Wire Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
different size phase conductors for the SAME CIRCUIT? That would be a no.

PS: As pointed out to me, this may not be a good idea but so long as minimum sizes are covered, it wouldn’t be a code violation.

Last edited:

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Are you asking about for example having a 120V 20A circuit and a 240V 30A circuit both run in the same conduit?

You mention specifically xhhw type wire. Are you talking about service or feeder conductors? That could be a totally different answer.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
I guess I don't understand the statement "different size PHASE conductor for different circuits." I'm not getting a visual as to what this means.
A 20 amp and a 30 amp circuit in the same conduit, for example. Assuming no derating for more than 3 CCC or upsizing for VD, that would give you #12 and #10 in the same conduit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A 20 amp and a 30 amp circuit in the same conduit, for example. Assuming no derating for more than 3 CCC or upsizing for VD, that would give you #12 and #10 in the same conduit.
The OP has probably asked this question before and the answer can be found in 300.3(C)(1). It can be multiple circuits from the same system, it can also be something like a 480V MWBC and a 208V MWBC. The answer can also be found in 250.122(C).

Status
Not open for further replies.