minimum depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

is it allowed to run cable wire underground to a outlet from the point of initial contact from the cable company. If so what is the minimum depth the wire needs to be. also does it need to be ran in pvc conduit. any sugestions would be greatly appreciated

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: minimum depth

The cable guys usually just make a slit in the lawn with the blade of a lawn edger, push the cable in and stomp on it. :(

There is no NEC requirement, use your own judgement. I always like to get it deep enough so that the possibility of damage is minimized, 12-18" is good. PVC works too.

Keep in mind that any coax run underground should be suitable for direct burial. Make sure the cable is flooded.

-Hal

southernboys

hal I apreciate the info there is a certain cable wire for underground? what is the trade name for it?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Flooded RG-6. It will have grease or some other goop under the jacket to keep moisture from migrating. Your supply house probably won't know what you are talking about.

-Hal

RRich

If you are direct burying tel/data it should be "flooded or filled" and rated for direct bury. You state or local code may/should indicate specifice depths for both direct burial and in conduit. My experience is minimum 18" for direct bury and 12" for conduit. Bare in mind both also have compacted earth separation from power and gas service, again subject to local codes.
Another point to consider is how far away from the demarc or original service you are going. If the telco finds you've exceeded their distance, the customer may be charged for an off premise extension; a monthly fee!
I have fixed my share of "sod deep" installs that have been cut by roto tillers or even lawnmowers. Do it right. I offer my customers the option of doing there own digging instead of paying my hourly rate. They appreciate the offer and it saves my back for golf.
REMEMBER! CALL BEFORE YOU DIG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.