Minimizing inventory items on truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I use Leviton mid-sized nylon plates. They don't crack or shatter. I have used a hole saw on a blank plate to make a single receptacle plate without incident. I thought about a router or roto-zip, but that won't work where the inside corners need to be square. A laser cutter sounds too big for the truck. I'm imagining a device similar to a heavy-duty three hole punch. Metal base with a jig and a punch powered by hand pressure.
I wonder how an oscillating "multi-tool" with a saw blade for plastic would work using a template with desired rectangular openings for Decora, GFCI, etc. Sometimes plastic can gum up blades so I don't know how well they'd work on cover plates. Probably depends on the material.
I have a Fein multi-tool that I don't use very often, but when I do it's been a great time saver with better quality results ...particularly if you need to do a plunge cut and have no access behind the work.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wonder how an oscillating "multi-tool" with a saw blade for plastic would work using a template with desired rectangular openings for Decora, GFCI, etc. Sometimes plastic can gum up blades so I don't know how well they'd work on cover plates. Probably depends on the material.
I have a Fein multi-tool that I don't use very often, but when I do it's been a great time saver with better quality results ...particularly if you need to do a plunge cut and have no access behind the work.

I can say with certainty that a multi-tool is the wrong device for cutting plates. I use one when trimming a plate edge and while it's not bad, it still hacks up the plastic more that any client would want to see. I can't imagine using it for interior cuts. Secondly, you cannot cut round portions with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.