Min distance for low volt cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the min. distance between low voltage wires and electrical wires when you're running them in parallel? Is it 2" or 4"?

Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Min distance for low volt cables

If an electrical cable such as NM, AC, MC then there is no minium distance (by the NEC). Conductors such as inside a control panel have to have separation, by a fixed barrier. can you be more specific on the application?

I am running 14AWG speaker cables, CAT6, CATV, and security cables for a new construction home. I remembered when I was reading the NEC book it said that the min. distance is 4 inches. Some people told me that I can be 2 inches between the electrical and low voltage cables. Is that true? I also remember reading somewhere in the NEC book (Article 300) that the min. is 2 inches. I usually keep them about 6 inches apart anyway.

Thanks

hurk27

I'm thinking if the "speaker" cable is run in the wall or cieling you might have another violation of 408.8(2)or(5)

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors.

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings.

I think the "2005" address's this if it has a class 2 or 3 listing?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

What Wayne is saying is that the speaker cable, or any other low voltage cable for that matter, has to be listed or it cannot be run concealed in walls, ceilings, etc. This means no "zip" cord such as many speaker cables are. Make sure your cables are marked CL2, CL3, CM, CMR, CMX etc.

As for spacing, there is no requirement however I would try to keep speaker wiring away from noise sources such as the NM running to and from dimmers, etc. Probably won't matter but it can't hurt.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.