meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog

I have looked at a job. It has a main 200 amp 3 phase meter. There is a 100 amp 3 phase disconect after the meter. This feeds 5 meters that each feed an apt.The panels off these meters are they main panel or subpanels?

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: meters

I am guessing that this building is 40 or more years old.

It is unususal to have a master meter ahead of the individual meters. Maybe due to the billing process.

There is likely 3 wires to each panel. Each panel will have a maximum of six disconnects.

During that era, the service point ended at the first overcurrent device. In this case each panel constituted a service. The feeders were unfused laterials.

I think 250-142.b will answer your question. Speaks of using the grounded conductor to ground equipment on the loadside.If the disconnecting means has overcurrent I would believe that they are sub-panels

[ April 13, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: rasmithircgov.com ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

The main disconnect is likely a non-fused switch.
This is for continuity of service.

The supply wires do not hit an overcurrent device until it reaches the loadcenter.

Each loadcenter is considered a service. This was an approved method at time of construction. There will be a ground electrode conductor to a water pipe.

Let me know if this is not the way your job is done.

The only down side is the unfused service conductors entering the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.